Motorcycle Forums banner

Valkyrie 1800! Who Wants One?

18K views 69 replies 37 participants last post by  Dangerousdave_2 
#1 ·
The Valkyrie is not my cup of tea as far as bikes to own, having said that, I have worked on and ridden a few of them, and was allways very impressed by the performance and handling of such a big beast, if honda made one with newer technology and the 1800 motor for a power plant it would be a force to be reconed. I think they would sell quite well.

My two cents.

#2 ·
As a big fan of 'different' engines (i.e. not a narrow angle v twin or an inline four), I say 'Hell yeah!'

As a realist with some mild understanding of what drives this market, I would say 'don't hold yer breath.'

The Valk was and is a great bike but the naked Goldwing would just steal sales from their VTX line right now.

#4 ·
A while back I was standing around waiting for a toy run to start with a bunch of my Harley Riding friends. Some of these guys are "patch holders". One of them saw the Valk Interstate and said "If I didn't have this path, I would be on one of those". That kinda speaks volumes to me. This guy was one of "those" Harley riders, and he liked the Valk. I like it too and would consider it if there was a new one available, but there is not...and probably will not be one. Guess I'll keep my Harleys and Beemers...they at least make what the customers want.

#5 ·
Favorite Cop Bike

The Harris County Sherrifs deputies seem to love them. I saw one this morning on the way in. He followed me all the way into town on the HOV.

Would it sell enough to re-release it? Probably not. As pointed out, it would likely canabilize sales from the VTX and goldwing.

#6 ·
I don't see it happening. I liked the Valk when it came out because it wasn't a Harley copy. The flat six sounds cool with some pipes too.

H-D has its customers trade in old bikes for new ones even though they don't change very much. The Big Four hasn't mastered this yet except for sportbikes.

I imagine a Valk owner would be perfectly content to hang on to his bike forever unlike the squids who have to have the latest and greatest every year.

#8 ·
Really? Then why do they seem to be everywhere? Honda dealer down here couldn't keep them in stock! Must have been another one of those "if it doesn't sell in Cali" things... Sure see a lot more Valks than Runes! (as in I have seen exactly 2 on the road) Almost as many Valks as big Shadows! Go figure. Market Research is a lot like any other stat, they tell you what you want them too...

#10 ·
I guess Valks are a "Cali only" thing because I've only seen about one of them on the road. If they were selling well all over the place I doubt that Honda would drop them. 'Course weirder things have happened. Like when Honda decided that V4s were the wave of the future and dropped all the I-4s at once. What a boondoggle that was.

#12 ·
I have a Valk sitting in my garage as we speak. My brother bought it new in 97 and it's a nice enough bike. I had a 96 Wing and couldn't understand why someone would buy a Valk over a Wing. It wasn't much cheaper, and by the time you added bags and a windshield, the price was a wash. I don't think there is a market for an updated Valk. I don't think the first one went over all that well.

#20 ·
I currently ride an '03 Valk which I bought new after it was public that Honda would no longer manufacture such a fine machine. I was hoping that a "regular" Valk, perhaps based on one of the other concept bikes shown when the Rune was announced, would emerge as it's successor.

It is indeed a phenominal machine. In fact, I refer to it as my Honda FBCR 1500 (Fat Boy's Crotch Rocket).

I doubt that Honda is willing to invest the tooling and expense of a non-vtwin cruiser for such a small market niche, as for some reason, the general public is hung up on the v-twin.

What a shame.

#21 ·
If I wanted a big-ass cruiser with a "unique " engine design I'd buy a Rocket 3.

The Valk was an interesting design when it came out and I'm sure current owners of them are happy, but I think the days of it having any real mass appeal and resultant sales figures are probably gone. Honda has pretty much put their eggs in the V twin basket as far as cruisers go, I doubt we'll be seeing any real inovation or independent thinking from them except in the sportbike line.

#23 ·
Bring it back!!!

I have a '98 Valk and I love every minute I am on it. Honestly, there is not a Honda product at this time that I would buy new. If I were to look at a new bike, it would most likely be the Triumph Rocket III, or possibly the Yamaha V-4 Venture.

I don't like v twins and will probably never own one, so VTX is out of the question. I also am not a big Gold wing fan. It's an outstanding machine for sure, just not my style (yet, see me when Im 55 years old and then maybe).

I don’t see why Honda doesn’t make a new Valk. They can’t be making any more money on that ridiculous joke they call the Rune now, so why keep making that thing? Oh well, if and when my current ride dies, and I can't find another Valk for some reason, I will go to another maker.

#25 ·
I don't try and read Honda tea-leaves anymore. Too confusing.

Why ain't the ST13 50 lbs lighter???

Why VTEC on the VFR????

Why no 1000cc VFR????

Why no BIG nekkid????

Why no Varadero here in US of A?????

But then you have all 57 flavors of VTX, etc., AND updated CBR's. I suppose I just want all the wrong things. And that's why I'm not a product planner....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.