Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
This Ducati valve thing is one of the most over-rated maintenance tasks in motorcycling. It must be one of the salesperson talking points that they teach at BMW, Honda, etc

One of my best friends and riding buddies has two Ducs with Desmoquattro (4 valve) engines, he does all his own service... those things are a bit more pain in the ass but having assisted on those I'd have no qualms about doing a nice simple two valve Duc myself.

On a naked bike like a Monster or Multistrada it'd probably take me 6 hours the first time I touched the bike, 2-3 hours after that. Notice that Ducati does a nice job of enginnering the access you need to the heads... removal of gas tank, fairings, etc.

P.S. The service interval may be 5,000 miles but when you check the tolerances it's unlikely that more than a couple valves will be out of spec

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Nice to know it's not that complicated. You've got a follower for each valve actuation, right? (I'm looking at a desmo setup from 750cc Osca at the moment). How do you adjust ? Shims?

Thanks for the link on the M8E. I use to see that car in my dad's garage in Hidden Hills, remember the big fuel injection stacks. Awsome car. Formula libre. Like a P Wagen or W125.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although I have not done a Duc valve check yet I do plan on doing the valves on my Multistrada.I think because they have an opening rocker and a closing rocker people think they are more complicated,but I think a little more time consuming would be more accurate. I think removing the bodywork and just getting to the valves can be very time consuming on any machine.My old 16 valve Suzuki was very tedious to check valves on also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey,

I've never done a 4 valve engine, but I have a Monster 900 and I've always done my valves. It's a lot easier than otherwise claimed by those who want your money. Follow the instructions on ducatisuite.com as a guideline and get the right tools, a micrometer is a must. Get a set of collets from Martin Brickwood (www.mbp.com) he can hook you up with a measument tool for the closing shim. It's a bit intimidating at first, but get everything in a advance plan what you are going to do and get to work!!!

Good Luck,

Rui

ps: It's very satisfying to fire it up after the valve job is done and know that this is your work!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Desmo valves are not hard to adjust. I would rather do the valves on a two/three valve ducati than many of the four valve Japanese bikes. Other MOrons have posted some good links.

The only problem that you might have is that some dealers are reluctant to say your warranty will still be in effect if you do your own adjustments. Some don't care. Some will say that your warranty is OK as long as the fault can't be traced to out of spec valves.

But don't let the dealers put you off with horror stories, especially those told by dealers of other motorcycles.

Bottom line, it's not that hard.

Francis

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have almost 15000 miles on my '02 ST4s. In that time, only one valve needed a shim change. Checking the clearances is no more difficult than any other engine type. Get the right tools up front, buy the factory manual, read those websites, and work carefully. Each time it gets easier and faster.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.