Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Has anyone ever had a valve go out of adjustment on a modern bike? I don't think I ever have, all the times I've taken them in or checked them myself they've been within spec. I've copied down the readings on 10k mile increments up to around 60k and other than minor variations which most likely were errors in reading the feeley gages there's no change. Just curious if anyone else had that experiance, are valve adjustments turning into nothing more than a cash cow for the service dept at you local motor-sikkle dealership?
You mean shim adjusters, right?

I had one valve go .001 out loose on my 81 KZ750 at about 53K miles. Aside from that I can't recall ever having to adjust a shimmed bike.

The old twirly types are a different story. Though those seldom need adjustment either if they are done and torqued properly. I think I adjusted about six valves on my GSX1100G in 70K miles. Even then they were only slightly over.

The only engine I can remember that had valves go tight were the VW air-cooled engines. Every bike engine I've ever had only went loose. While that may be non-optimum it isn't going to damage anything.

I got so that I only check them every 15K or so on any bike once I've set them and checked them a couple times. Too lazy to do them every 6K.

Are you worried about your Dyna? I suggest you check them every day!

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
A BT3, eh?

I try not to ride below freezing these days. Anyway I'm not trying to brag, when Pushrod and I were on the boat together he was an Engineering Division Officer and I was a lowly BT3, now that were back in the civilian world these many years later I take an admittidly juvenile pleasure in lightly poking fun at an old shipmate and his 51 degree riding excursions......

LR, Those Bandits are a ball eh? talk about a sleeper. Dirt cheap decent handling and butt-loads of torque, comfy as a couch to boot........

Pretty tough to beat!
I know now just what kind of 'phantoms' you were flying.

Looks like you got the tomahawk chop too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.