Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a crash with my '00 VFR, I was left with the choice of repairing it (fairings and dashboard, 2750 euros) and keep it or get a new bike. Wify support on this was strangely strong (she must have seen insurance policies).

How ever, the thing that turns me on is the Viffer or the Busa.
Both are expected to get new models, RSN.

Any toughts ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new Busa will be coming out in a couple months. The VFR is being dropped after this year. I'd wait and see what the new Busa brings to the table.
thanks
this doesn't helps.
should I keep my 800 Fi as a reminder of how good this bike was or go fro the Busa ....

decisions, decisions....

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
should I keep my 800 Fi as a reminder of how good this bike was or go fro the Busa ....
I guess that depends on how much coin you have to throw around. 2700 Euros is about 4 grand US. I'm guessing a new Busa will set you back between 12-13 grand US.

It's always more fun to get a new bike, but I also know VFR owners tend to really like their bikes.

So how many miles do you have on it?
Is it paid off?
What type of insurance coverage do you have?
How much of the damages are they paying...if any?
How will the insurance be affected with a new Busa?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
The VFR is being dropped after this year.QUOTE]

Honda is dropping the VFR? Are they going to stop producing motorcycles in general? Give it another year or three and all you'll have left is 10 different version of the same VTX. They barely update their cruiser line, also. I just find it odd.
The rumor out on the net is that the VFR is no more after this year. I think it's a good possibility that Honda will drop it and maybe re-design it. I'm not 100% on this, but I think it may be true. It's on the Internet, so it must be true!

·
Registered
58 Posts
How could they drop the VFR? 800cc V4s are the future of motorcycling!
Well, they could maintain the same designation VFR, even if, say, they go with a V5! The VFR was really getting long in the tooth. Think of the original VFs and VFRs leading the pack in technology, speed, etc. I remember the 86 VFR750 having the top speed of all 750s. The current bike, while probably loved my some, has just too far strayed off the path in my opinion. it's time for them too return that bike to "flagship" status. So, maybe something that will run with the Busa and ZX-14 is in the works. Jeeeez, if they built something to replace the Blackbird and VFR800 with that V5, with similar power, weight and purpose as the other two biggins, I think they could clean house.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I think the V5 window has come and gone. It's not that they won't do it, but I just don't see them doing it. THey could just to a 1000cc V-Four with 160hp and 100tq and call it a day.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Jeeeez, if they built something to replace the Blackbird and VFR800 with that V5, with similar power, weight and purpose as the other two biggins, I think they could clean house.
Remember, we ARE talking "Honda" here. It's O.K. to sit on yer arse when you make a "superior" product..........

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
They could but it's easier to live on their past accomplishments apparently.

Maybe the Honda Corp should find some motorcycle enthusiasts to run the motorcycle division. The bean counters aren't doing such a hot job.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Big Disappointment

I've been putzing around looking for a new bike for some time. Saturday a week ago the kid and I rode down to the local Honda "Power Store," Rick Case Honda. First, the dealership was a frikin mess. Not the cool, fun, old-school motorcycle shop kind of mess, but a dumpy, over stuffed, barely organized mess. Piles of generators and unrelated crap everywhere. The "salesperson" couldn't find an ST1300 to show me, so we had to drive to the nearby Rick Case CAR dealership where they store excess inventory. The bike was CHEESY. My 86 Concours has more quality! Then we went back to the dealership, and the whole way I was getting the "car salesman closing statements." Very annoying. It's a shame, I really loved my 02 VFR, and the dealer in AZ was cool. Our local Kawi/Suzi/Yamaha shop is much better. Who cares? I do. If you buy new, you're going to have a relationship with the dealer for at least a year or so. When you get down to the fractions of percentages that differentiate equivalent bikes these days, it's time to look at other factors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
after a crash with my '00 VFR, I was left with the choice of repairing it (fairings and dashboard, 2750 euros) and keep it or get a new bike. Wify support on this was strangely strong (she must have seen insurance policies).

How ever, the thing that turns me on is the Viffer or the Busa.
Both are expected to get new models, RSN.

Any toughts ?
I wanted to like the VFR more than any other bike on the road because of the v-four motor but I am 6'4" with size 14 feet. I just couldn't make the magazine articles match the reality of the situation. So I bought an FZ1 and use it with oxford sports touring gear for the exact same kind of riding I was planning on using the Honda for. Your bike is pre-VTEC. You get to enjoy the high-speed whine of gear driven cams. Do not sell your VFR or you will miss it for sure.

Also, The Busa and the VFR are two bikes that have little in common. Why or How did you arrive at the conclusion that the Busa will be the bike you move on too? Have you decided to fore go Sport Touring Nirvana for straight-line bliss? Or, are you going to turn the Busa into a Sport Touring bike?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rumor has it that Honda's releasing a new V-4. About the broken bike that the thread starter posted on, I'd look into fixing it with used parts where possible and doing as much of the work myself as I could. It's a great bike.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Along with the 'Busa I'd look at the ZX14 or the new K1200 R or K1200S. Even The Triumph Sprint would be an option, Honda is a car company these days. Soichiro is spinning in his grave fer' sure, I wouldn't waste my time with them anymore myself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rumor has it that Honda's releasing a new V-4. About the broken bike that the thread starter posted on, I'd look into fixing it with used parts where possible and doing as much of the work myself as I could. It's a great bike.
I'll be interested in seeing if Honda keeps the VFR alive with an updated motor. If so, hopefully it won't have VTEC, or at least they'll have it worked out to where it actually beneficial to have, instead of just something "cool" to talk about having.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Perpetual Disappointment

Not to muddy the speculative new model waters... merely an observation...

As a CBR1100XX fan, I've been sorely disappointed over the last few years by Honda's apparent lack of developmental interest in a GT genre replacement. Oh, sure, I've heard the old tale about the bike being so good that designing a replacement would be "gilding the lily"... but if creative genius does not aspire to greater heights, what purpose does it serve? Too rhetorical, perhaps..? I think not...

I've heard it said that even creative genius can rust...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.