1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Look beyond the hideousness...

Of that bizarre, bulbous fairing. Notice the very cool swingarm and driveshaft unit, the giant rear shock with linkage, the inverted front end...and an 800cc liquid cooled parallel twin?

I think we're going to see some kind of sportbike/sport tourer/sport standard from Victory in a year or two. This is just a styling exercise using an already-developed engine and chassis.

The parallel twin powerplant makes a lot of sense. It's got character in an 800cc size, is cheap to make, and will be smooth and modern with counterbalancing and EFI. It will be fun to have TWO American sportbikes to test!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been here two years...my first post.

I think Victory is using the ugly fairing as a distraction the same way automakers use extra body panels on prototypes. They want to show the new product...partially. Keep the competition guessing. Competitive Intelligence is a big industry.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What is with this surge of parallel twins. Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to put my money down on BMW's F800S (if its priced near 9K).

As for this Victory, I applaud them for the design experiment exercise. If they build it, they will only sell three, but that's not the point of "outside the box" design experiments.

Seems that they are trying to figure out how they can expand production beyond their high priced cruisers into other bike designs and maintain high end prices. By building quirky BMW type bikes, they can avoid competing with the Japanese. Don't expect to ever see a Victory priced under 10K.

I think they will get there.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I've never been a supporter of abortion........ until now. Somebody needed to kill that thing long before it was born. I didn't think I would see something with 2 wheels uglier than a Rune, but this thing makes the Rune look like Tyra Banks. If this is their 'Vision', they need glasses. When I get to the show in Feb, I'll give em my feedback.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It would be nice to have another American sport bike, but you would think with KTM on board they would come up with something like the KTM Venom concept, not a fugly hyper-scooter.

We are the greatest country on earth, and all we have is one sportbike company?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks heavy. Probably would be interesting to ride in a strong crosswind. The stylist obviously felt the bike's styling was attractive. I feel bad for that person. What's with all the automatic transmissions and CVTs popping up lately? People must be turning into pansies. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK, I think it's cool.

Not that anyone cares what I think. But the idea of usable storage space is good. The only thing I think should change is the name: rather than vision call it "Whalerider"

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Don't quit your day job.

You've got to be s******g me

There's a very good reason why mass and weight is located low and centralized on motorcycles. By tacking on a trunk and "fairing" on top and forward the whole handleing dynamic is upset, add an automatic trans. and no traditional controls and they'll be lucky to give them away free with every fill-up at the Shell station. Up till now I thought Victories had some really nice styling but they screwed the pooch with this one.

Kill it before it spreads...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ugly is as Ugly does, OR, give the people (fools) what they want

Designed for the rider who doesn't know what he wants? Give me a break. I've got a great solution for those people- a good whack to the back of the head! Maybe it should read- for those who are afraid to break away from the "traditional". This thing looks unwieldy and fugly- and I own a V-strom and in the past owned a Concours and a Virago ! Not even my forgiving heart can find pity! I even like BMW's!. Come on Victory, forget "lifestyle" and "traditional", build us a nice sportbike or even a standard and you'll have my full respect, which, truth be known, you mostly did up to now (even though cruisers aren't really my bag).

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.