Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW, I got motion sick just watching the video, god forbid riding that bad boy. I would have to pull over every few miles. And I bet it would take fifteen minutes for the "world" to stop "banking" even then!!! LOL :)

Sweet vid, thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
notice how slow he was going ... he never seemed to have the tach up in the power band ...

he prolly had way more fun than me when i did it; it was a summer weekend with tons of traffic, i got stuck behind an effin' minivan ...

huck

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you go, watch out for the cops on the Foothills Parkway side (where the video starts) - it's a scenic drive and part of a national or state park, I think. The entire area is a fantastic ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
training video!!!

"Now class, notice how he goes to the outside (most of the time) for the delayed-apex..."

And he also seems to be going downhill for most of it. Probably got all the speed he needed from that burst at the beginning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regardless of critiques of riding style, is a good video! Thaks for posting!

Has me wondering, however, what's the big deal about deal's gap? I've not ridden it, so take my opine for what it's worth.

But having seen that vid, much of that route is comparable to multiple routes we ride here in Northern California every weekend. And at least on Deal's, you can see through the corners, it is actually two-lanes wide, and most tricky corners appear to be marked.

My point...? Before proclaiming this route as "the ultimate route ever created by mankind"...get out and ride some other routes. And I pledge to do the same! :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Dragon is, IMHO, the least praise worthy road in the area around the Smokey National Park. It gets the most hype in part because of the statistically anomaly (300+ turns in 11 miles) and the small businesses at the end of it which make their living off motorcyclists. With the Blue Ridge Parkway 30 minutes away, Cherohala Skyway at the tail of the Dragon, and the multitude of roads running through the national park itself, you have lots of woderful roads to ride.

I was down there near the end of August this year and we had the roads to ourselves from 7am-5pm on Friday and Saturday. Certainly nothing better east of the Mississippi.

·
Registered
579 Posts
What makes the Dragon a great road is the fact that the TN part of it is banked so perfectly, so well kept up. It's like its been swept!!! Freshly paved with new asphalt, it's sticky as can be.

It's one thing to find a twisty road. It's another thing to find a twisty road that a good rider can fly on.

It's not a road for the cruiser crowd. It's a road that Keith Code has wet dreams about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With as many riders doing the Gap as there are, you'd think that there would be hundreds of videos like this, so thanks for sharing with us. I loved it and can hardly wait to go myself. 2 things I noticed, at times you can see part of the speedo (mostly in the 40s, rarely over 60). The second, I know that the rider was probably a little anxious, but I wish he had taken the time to clean the screen in front of the lens, but overall one great video, thanks.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Thanks pushrod

Gets me psyched up. My favorite road here in Seattle has sections like that, unfortunately it doesn't go on as long and has more traffic. A good book I have found for finding twisty roads is Destination Highways They have a WA, BC (Canada), and a Northern Californian version (coming soon)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Have yet to view video...needs to wait for a less hectic dayeven at my broadband conn speed - however follows an observation from one who lives only 3 hrs from the Dragon: Great road, great ride...but to paraphrase the great Yogi - "nobody goes there anymore, it is too crowded". Weekday am is best. Weekends sux. Do yourself a favor..get a DeLorme Gazeteer (sp?) and go find yourself some nice county roads. Less donks, less cops, less squids, less clueless wandering (and dangerous) Floridians. Those are the flat out most dangerous drivers in the Western Hemisphere.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I guess it's only a matter of time before someone makes a game out of this stretch of pavement. Y'all need to check out the site, www.tailofthedragon.com.

Even though watching the vid caused me flashbacks to my crash, I found myself moving in my chair for some of the turns. Rather humorous, that.

The best thing about the Dragon is it isn't the best riding in that part of the woods IMHO. Obviously, the Dragon is way technical, and most sportbikes never get out of second gear. The Cherohala Skyway is a sweet ride, and Route 28 is no slouch.

Just be careful of the road conditions after a heavy rain (a lot of crap gets washed out onto the pavement), and when the leaves are falling.

And, as I can attest, remember that some jerk might "depart controlled flight" in the oncoming lane.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I agree there are a lot of dangerous drivers, and not only at the Gap. And, to bolster your argument, the guy that lost control of his Subaru and crossed the centerline and met me head-on is from Jacksonville (FL).

However, I also live in Florida (in the portion that knows how to vote) and trust me, some of the tourists we get here could be certified as clinically brain dead. Few of them have Florida tags.

So, young Skywalker, be careful of the stereotypical remarks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.