Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not strong in the electronic department and haven't looked for them myself, however I've seen a fair few Harleys with LED turn signals that stay lit and flash when turning.

However most of them seemed to have an odd star pattern light which looked goofy. Then again you would never miss the blinking.

So a starting point may be looking into some of the LED options.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with you. I did just what you are talking about to the turn signals on my Valkyrie. Since I was not exactly sure of what I was doing, the kit took me all day to install, but now that I understand it, it would only take about 2 hours. The kit I am refering to is from a compnay called The Electrical Connection, and costs about $50. In the daytime there is not much difference in visibility, but at night it makes a huge difference. Check out www.electricalconnection.com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if its visibility you want, well most underbone riders here in the P.I. like being seen -- they even have lights under the tail of their mini-crotch rockets with sorts of stuff that really light up their bikes. they even have sound system installed ( i ***** you not)

anyway the bulbs in the turn light needs to be a dbl contact bulb - add a wire connected from the tailight to the indicators housing you might also need to replace the bulb housing with a dbl contact type. viola! your turn lights stay on - and blink when activated.

we even have guys that have signal lights blink when braking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if its visibility you want, well most underbone riders here in the P.I. like being seen -- they even have lights under the tail of their mini-crotch rockets with sorts of stuff that really light up their bikes. they even have sound system installed ( i kid you not)

anyway the bulbs in the turn light needs to be a dbl contact bulb - add a wire connected from the tailight to the indicators housing you might also need to replace the bulb housing with a dbl contact type. viola! your turn lights stay on - and blink when activated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have any mechanical/electrical ability, a fairly easy fix is to replace the single element socket in your turn signals with a dual element. Run one wire to your tail light (not brake!) and the other to your turn signal wire. Same thing can be done in the front.

You can also just go the full-dresser route and add running lights all over the back of the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
its visibility you want, well most underbone riders here in the P.I. like being seen -- they even have lights under the tail of their mini-crotch rockets with sorts of stuff that really light up their bikes. they even have sound system installed ( i kid you not)

·
Registered
33 Posts
In Euroland many riders wear a highly reflective light weight yellow cover over their armour. A good idea.

In high density areas I ride with lights on hi beam and move the bike around in the lane to be noticed.

Brights really helps with geezers turning across your bows. Dimmed lights in bright sun can hardly be seen!

Most of the problems occur when the cager in front can't see you or ignores you.

The brighter the lights the more hesitant they are to mess with your space it seems.

When riding in a group I dim the brights. If there is another rider going my direction at my speed I usually run staggered behind him or her as the more the merrier. Heck you may even be seen by the cager as you approach from the rear with a little luck.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Turn signal running lights

I noticed the front of my 2004 Gold Wing the turn signal lights stay on at a reduced but seeable level at night adding to the illuminated width of my vehicle.

I also purchased the fog / driving lights and leave them on.

But the one thing I think helps a lot from the back is the optional spoiler with built in LED brake lights like on a car, they really have an effect on following cars when I hit the brakes.

I also saw a guy that had his hooked up so the LED brake lights in the rear spoiler were lit sosolid and then blinked rapidly then slower when applied. Really got my attention.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Honda Lights & Electrical Connection

The Honda forward lights use a two bulb setup. One is a running light, the second a turn indicator. The running light goes off and stays off as long as the flasher is activated, to increase the perceived difference in intensity. Little touches like this are the unsung benefits of buying a more expensive bike like the VFR.

I've dealt with the electrical connection before. I like the product, but it took several calls and 3 months to get my parts after they had my money. Maybe I just caught them at a bad time?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A couple comments.

"As an "older" biker, I am much more concerned with safety than I used to be"

I doubt that. You made it this far haven't you? I bet you've always been concerned about safety.

Triumph does turn signals the best (perhaps). A single button, push left for the left signal and right for the right signal and push it in to turn it off.

Harleys have running lights in the front of their FLs, which can be on all the time, but nothing in the rear. But, if you can install a dual filament bulb then the the one filament can be wired-in to be left on all the time. You should be able to get away with splicing them into the headlight and tail lights so they operate the same way. You know how most bikes shut off the lights to start the motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '99 CBR600 F4 had standard front running lights and it was an US model, so it seems that it'd be pretty easy for the manufacturer to put running lights even on a not-so-expensive bike.

And yes, they are definetly better than the normal ones.

·
Registered
325 Posts
"Triumph does turn signals the best (perhaps). A single button, push left for the left signal and right for the right signal and push it in to turn it off."

Ummmm?,...both my Honda and Suzuki are exactly like that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Considering that the Hurt Report indicated that lack of visibility was a major contributor to M/C accidents, I have always been very interested in augmenting the lighting on my bike. I use a headlight modulator for the front. I have had good experience with units from both www.kriss.com and www.kisantech.com. These companies also make a variety of other products that will enable you to enhance your rear lighting as well. www.hyperlites.com has an excellent kit that adds two small led arrays to the rear of the bike. They are running lights until the brakes are applied, then they start to flash. Adding lights to the front is pretty easy too. motolight.com has some great driving lights for the front. You can also get a set of driving lights from an auto parts store for about $20. However, you have to be able to figure out the wiring and mounting on your own, which can be tricky.

Also some bikes have a dual element bulb in the rear turn signals. You can run a wire from your tail light to the unused, spare filament and make rear running lights.

I really notice the difference when I ride. People see me better. Some flash me to let me know my lights are "messed up," when the modulator is running, but I figure, what the hell, at least they saw me.

Francis

·
Registered
246 Posts
Kisan Technology's SignalMinder has a mode that will enable your turn signals as running lights front and rear. It is illegal to have amber running lights in the rear, but I believe you're unlikely to find that law enforced. If you want to be legal, as somebody else mentioned, Electrical Connection offers kits that add red LED lights inside your turn signal housings. Here are some links to various suppliers of "safety" add-ons:

Kisan Technology

Hyperlites

Kriss

Motolights

Signal Dynamics

Gizmo Mill

Moto Equip Reflectives

Cycle Gadgets

Electrical Connection

Ride Safer

Air Horns at Adventurers Workshop

Despite all these links, I think the best advice I've heard is "Do everything you can to make your bike more visible, then ride like it's invisible." Don't ever count on the cagers seeing you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am also a old fart biker and always slip on over my riding outfit a high visibility safety vest. The ones that cost less than $10 are junk; always flapping about. I think my good one cost about $12, but cannot find the source again.

I have also installed those always on rear turn signal lights. Mine are a ring of 10 very bright LED lights that really stand out at night. Also I installed a Cobra Light Bar which is super bright. I have had SUV's flash their lights at me when I'm on low beam; high bean the light bar is off.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I've found that a bright orange Altadena milk crate bunjee corded to the luggage rack of a CB350 works wonders.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.