Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever ride a Kawasaki Voyager XII? I'm looking at getting a tourer, but don't want so much weight and I want something cheap.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha!! No not really, but after riding 1500 miles from 5pm Friday to about noon on Sunday my right hand is still numb. I don't have the $$ nor the desire for a Wing or an HD tourer so I'm wanting to find something cheap, but less painful than the Concours. :p

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Damn, dude, a ride like that on any bike is likely to leave you a little numb somewhere, that's a lot of miles! My Concours was really numbing my right hand, but adding the throttle stop helped a lot. Being able to take my hand away for a few minutes now and then made all the difference.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
No it won't. Smoke wants something cheap. 13 grand ain't cheap. He can probably get a good Voyager for about 5-6 grand (6-8 grand for the later year models with less miles). Even cheaper if he's willing to put some of work into it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Umm, no, I have a blue and black Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 thank you. :)

I don't mind some work, but wouldn't mind something that had less than 50K miles and was in pretty good shape.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
or...

No it won't. Smoke wants something cheap. 13 grand ain't cheap. He can probably get a good Voyager for about 5-6 grand (6-8 grand for the later year models with less miles). Even cheaper if he's willing to put some of work into it.
...he can find an '80 Gold Wing with only 32K on it for $2400 like I did. Lots of options out there.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was more thinking the Voyager because of the cruise control and rear speakers/intercom for the woman. Though I do like those older Goldwings...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
That answers your question...

I'd still like to know if anyone has ever ridden a Voyager. I've never ridden one, much less seen many of them.
Not only have you never seen a Voyager virtually everyone else has never seen one either. I've seen a few Yamaha Ventures from that era but the Voyagers (and Zooker Cavalcades) never sold very many. There are about a dozen of them currently on cycletrader nationwide.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
V'Ger wishes to Join with The Creator!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I said I haven't seen many of them, not that I haven't seen them at all. :p

Yeah, I know what they are, old and all that goes along with it. But if I can enjoy a Concours as much as I do it really can't be all that bad. Besides, I'm looking for a comfy rolling couch, not a high tech 1800 Wingamabob.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
No, no, no, NO! Smoke, you are a young Gen Xer! You need a top of the line sportbike. Something with massively low clip-ons, super high pegs, and jam packed with technology.

This whole "simplicity and comfort" phase you're going through really needs to be looked and corrected.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damnit, I like things simple, black coffee, pumpkin pie, meat and potatoes AARGH!!

Besides, a Voyager will still be more powerful than my dad's(and his buds) Harleys. :p If that's any consolation.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I had an '81 Interstate for a winter bike a couple of years ago, I changed cam belts and fluids, brake pads and tires, I think that was about it. It was a pretty fun and surprisingly quick bike, I put about 8 or 9 k on it and sold it for what I paid for it. I prefer the 1100 to the 1200 with integrated bags and stator issues.

The Voyager is a damn bike big and didn't really sell well so your whole support structure is going to be pretty thin from parts to even finding one and keeping it running. Connies on the other hand are a dime a dozen and probably have better support than anything but BMW and HD, I'd get one of them myself and either use a bar snake or bird shot or hang lead weights off the bars to kill the vibration.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I almost bought an 1100 Wing a few years ago, kick myself for not doing it. It was a snazzy dark/light grey two tone. The only reason I'd want the 1200 over the 1100 is the cruise control, but then I suppose I could add it to the 1100 if I really wanted it. Or even get the Audiovox cruise for the Concours...

By the by, my right hand is still numb, I think I pinched a nerve.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.