Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: The V-Rod for the rest of us!

I'm not so sure I like the GSX-R styling on the tank, but it looks like there's yet another cruiser that can handle better than I can.

I do like the mid-mount foot controls. I've never understood how anyone could have as much control or feel from the bike with the forward controls. Maybe it's just because I've got short legs, but I prefer the mid-mount or feet-up-under-the-bootyhole control placement.

Good for Harley-Davidson for trying something a bit different.

Chango

·
Registered
771 Posts

I don't understand the devotion to 19" rims. With most sport(ing) bikes sporting 17" rims, I think they missed a little with that decision. I wonder what an after market set of rims (17") would do to the styling and performance. Definatly be tough to get uglier than the factory rims it comes with.

·
Registered
458 Posts
GASP! SHOCK!

Gasp: Controls under your feet! Wheels that don't get blown around! Real brakes! A less-raked-out front end! An end-can which doesn't compromise cornering so much! (Lean angle claims of 40 degrees vs 31 for the normal V-rod and 32 degrees for the sportster)

It actually looks to be a rideable MOTORCYCLE! GASP! SHOCK!

Seriously, this is the FIRST Harley I could actually see riding. Well, if it didn't cost over 2x what a CBR-600-RR does...

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts

Could we be seeing the end of the stupid feet-in-front-of-the-front-wheel "custom" look? Note: If everybody has it, it's not custom.

The 883R looks sweet. Now HD just needs to come up with a cafe variant. Put some life into the cafe class along with Triumph.

I see on some hop-up Sportster pages that an 883 with 1200 jugs gets better power due to a better cylinderhead shape than the stock 1200s. Cheaper, too.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Veeerrrryyy interesting!

As a motorcyclist, "what took so long?"

As a businessman, "looks like the cruiser growth curve has either already started sagging or the marketing folks can see it coming out on the horizon."

In either case, good for them and good for us!

Looks like the first Harley I'd consider since the XLCR.

·
Registered
292 Posts

I’m impressed! Glad to see that The Motor Company is doing something worthwhile with those record profits. Now, what are the odds I’ll be able to demo one?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

It's good to see Harley finally comming around to making motorcycles for those that aren't solely interested in posing. While the 30 degree rake on the forks is laughable, it is still a move in the right direction. The mid mounted foot controls and the addition of an extra gallon of capacity in the gas tank , also show that Harley has become aware of the short commings of the first V-Rod design. VWW

·
Registered
44 Posts

They did everything I told the dealer they should do (after I rode one). With the exeption of putting one muffler on each side - to further improve looks and ground clearance. Now, if they could get it on a diet to lose about 100 lbs, take that nasty tank decal off (c'mon H-D, put a nice chrome nameplate there instead), THEN we'd be talking. Great $12,500 motorcycle. Pity it's 17K....

·
Registered
61 Posts

I agree that the Buell is a better real-world sportbike, but I don't think that's exactly where they want to go with this one. I thought maybe they'd come up with a sport-touring version of the V-ROD next, but a performance-oriented model with a "standard" riding position also makes sense. I'm interested (pricey, though)

·
Registered
183 Posts

Pricey? Maybe, but the Rocket 3 is $15,990, and the Victory Hammer is $16,495, same as the new V-Rod. So at least it's in the same (expensive) ballpark.

Not bad to look at either...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Looks like it still has that itsy bitsy fuel tank and will probably get worse mileage than the standard V-Rod.

Count me out.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.