Motorcycle Forums banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Hey remember Harley is the king of stupid names.

Guy: Wanna ride tomorrow on my Harley?

Gal: YESSSS! (Wet spots suddenly appear)

Dude: Let me come by and pick you up on my Kawayamazukionda?

Chick: Oh ----- ok, uh I get off the schoolbus at about 4 or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Hey remember Harley is the king of stupid names.

Sorry guys - couldn't resist. I guess the smartass in me escaped, but Harley-Davidson has all of 'em beat when it comes to marketing and their naming ain't all that bad either. Ride what you like and feel the wind!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Harley h2o cooled engine

That's where you're wrong. If the customer can purchase a bike, then they matter to sales. Look at the V-rod. It's not typically HD, because the average first time buying age of HD went from 34 to 44. They need to attract new first time buyers, and most aren't looking for grandpa's cruiser. They want something different, and if HD can tap the market, they they make more money....simple as that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the Mean Streak last week. My future plans are to juice it up any way I can. I'm looking for another 20 to 30 ponies. I'm very happy with the way it looks and feels. I've already changed the pipes to Cobra, and the next thing will be the licence plate mount and the rear blinkers. All the stickers and logos have come off with little effort and that was a big improvement. Two questions I would throw out there are, How can I get rid of that ugly rectifyer on the left side? and just how far will I have to go to get the ponies I want?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You know, I wonder if bike comparisions will ever be separated by price range? Everyone I talk to always throws in my face - "The V-Rod is faster!" Yeah, but $8K more expensive than the Mean Streak! Sure, if Kaw wanted to make a bike for 18K (or more) it'd be fast as hell too! Also, 1/4 mile times are not the only things that make a good bike. When I buy a bike, I want it to do everything well - not just go fast. Sure the VTX is fast, but somewhat cumbersome. The V-Rod has an uncomfortable seating position. The Warrior vibrates too much for long distances, and the Suzuki Intruder is a behemouth with substandard braking.

Give me a good all-around bike anyday over the "fastest one." From all the reviews I've read - The Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 MS is it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Matt_ i couldnt agree more!! When I was looking for a cruiser in the 'performance cruiser' group, i was looking for: Brakes, handling, easiness to ride, comfort, price... Raw top end power was not a concern.. Basically, i paid my subscription to MO to read all there comparison articles (very informative).. From this site, plus other magazine articles and comparisons, the Meanie seems to win the comparisons... Sure the bike will not get to 60 in 4 seconds or break the 10 sec 1/4 mile,,,,who cares?? The V-rod is fast, but uncomfortable and pricey for me, the VMAX is just to cumbersome and kinda light in the brakeing, the Warrior is real nice, but belt drive (bleh, i wanted the smooth operation of a shaft (no jokes plz)) final drive. and the Warrior was still $1000 more.. I love my Kawi...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak - the Name

Beef Steak? heehee. Well, that's a funny comment Brent and I can assume you *don't* like the name? I wonder if you recognize the significance of "Mean Streak".

If you're a boomer like me, you might remember in the late sixties a Kawasaki two-stroke single which was the most coveted flattrack/TT bike of the day called the 238 "Green Streak". EVERYONE wanted one! It was 238cc of unleashed fury! I think Kawasaki was quite smart with their new "Hot Rod" cruiser's moniker.... they probably assume there are a lot of boomers out there that didn't kill *all* their brain cells!

cheers,

John Pierce

·
Registered
3 Posts
Larry104, you were right, sold my 800 classic rode a 02 meanie,it is the easiest bike to ride since I bought a 73 cb 750 in 78,kept it 10 years, this Kaw. is great 10 more ponies would be nice, a breather kit and some new pipes will help , but its a great cruiser.Those changes are coming soon will let you know how much they help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anyone is interested I recently purchased one of these beauties and I am having a ball on it. Great looks and with a set of Vance & Hines pipes it also has an unbelievable sound. I have had many an admirer ask me "what kind of Harley is that?" Ah well you get that! I admit it could possibly have a bit more grunt at times but only when I am trying to outsprint other avid m/cyclists. In general on my favourite 110 Klms of winding road out of Sydney it is a supurb steed, on a recent trip with 14 bikers three accompanying Hyabusa riders all commented during the days ride that they thought the bike was great. Not bad coming from pilots of 168hp beasties.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Harley h2o cooled engine

If japanese and italian bikes are so reliable, and air-cooling is so unreliable, then why do Ducati, suzuki, yamaha, Etc., make aircolled bikes? By the way my buddy owns a Ducati monster. Ocassionally the dealer lets him borrow it so he can ride it

101 - 111 of 111 Posts