Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
While you've got the anchor rope out...

...pull my Suzuki up, will ya?

Be careful not to snag any Triumphs. It's easy to avoid them. Just don't drag the bottom near any oil slicks.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Cruisers aren't used that way.

Cornering ability isn't a priority in designing cruisers. The sort of riding that cruisers are designed for makes cornering ability a distant second in importance. It's sort of like worrying about high speed aerodynamic factors when designing a tank. Doesn't matter all that much. People don't buy cruisers for the purpose of carving canyons. No reason to expect the bikes to perform that way.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Change it to CBRKZRGSXRYZR Online

You know as well as I do that some people won't be satisfied until MO spends its time exclusively doing comparos on the same 4 hot liter bikes and the same 4 hot 600s, over and over and over and over and.....

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Muscle Cars????

Try the Magna. I've got an old '84. Handles pretty good, brakes work real well. The new ones are even better.

Not a lotta grunt down low though. It is a 4 after all.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Well, no need for you to ride one to find out about it is there? The dyno charts tell you all you need to know.

You got a load of magazines stuffed in your tankbag?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Why a used Harley? They seem to cost more than new ones. Just look at the classifieds. It seems each one contains "A zillion dollars invested in chrome geegaws and doodads. Must see to appreciate this milestoone in customization. Asking price only $10K over book value."

It's usually better to just buy a new one.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
And then....

...one for sport touring and one for dual purpose, and one for long distance toruing and one for small tight roads and one for long sweeping roads and one for stoplight grand prix (isn't smoking idiots who think that cars with NOS are fast a major reason for riding bikes?) and one just to sit an admire during winter snowpacked roads and, oh yes, just one more.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Thrust curves

I prefer studying Laura Harring's "thrust curves" actually.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
You got it....

Chicks much prefer the guy who cruises along the boulevard for a loooong time rather than the guy who goes real fast and gets to the end quicker.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
But when you go out and actually test the bikes often you find that the real world result doesn't fit the calculated result.

For example my old GSX1100G dynos at only 90+ Rwhp @ 7500 and 75 ft-lbs at 4750. It gives a best SS 1/4 @ 11.38 sec @122 mph. It is a horrible slug compared to the recent years' models of 600s, much less literbike race replicas. Even my old 700 Magna gets down the road faster than many much newer bikes.

Then why have I yet to lose a stoplight grand prix to a 600 and seldom to a literbike? Probably experience and the comparatively wide powerband. There's far more to it than calculations. Few riders know the finer points of good launches.

That's why I say to go out and ride. You may love the bike that all the "experts" put down.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Is Motorcycle Online going to change its name to Cruiser Online?

A solipsism if ever there was one.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Cruisers aren't used that way.

Nothing circular about it. Why should someone who only rides in the city care about the ability to carve a canyon? Why would someone who largely rides the Interstate want a twitchy flywheel-effect free torture rack? It makes no sense.

Do you own a car? If so then I hope it is a Porsche TurboCarrera. Anything else is crap, right?

Why do you insist on comparing apples and oranges? You should criticize Cessna because their light communter planes won't travel at twice the sound speed of sound.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Is Motorcycle Online going to change its name to Cruiser Online?

Gotcha.

When it comes down to it, all motorcycles are purchased for subjective reasons. Sure, choppers aren't very functional, though since I've built my own in the past I know they can be built to perform safely on the street. Still the people buy them more for aesthetic reasons. Aesthetic to them at least. And there's no denying a lot of creativity does occur on that front.

There is the fact, undeniably, that the best performer for race purposes is the fastest bike around the track. It is also more and more likely that these bikes will become nearly as unsuitable for street as radical choppers if they continue down the road of reducing flywheel effect and abrupt two-strokelike powerbands. The seating positions, fatigue and visibility issues make these bikes poor street choices, IMHO.

MO does a pretty good job of covering different bikes for a diverse and cantankerous group. But it appears to me that the real revolution is in naked street bikes. We've gone from only a couple of choices a few years ago to a plethora of naked offerings, many that perform nearly as well as racereplicas without the daily usability and touring issues.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
This gets funnier and funnier

ZRX keeps repeating the same complaint about others' lack of originality. If the shoe fits.

His bunkmate keeps posting the same wacko conspiracy drivel over and over.

When is it my turn to be self-appointed pst-nazi?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Cruisers aren't used that way.

Touche' !

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Ah.... The human condition.

Love it or hate it it's certainly here to stay.

Though I opted for a 4WD (that I actually use *gasp* off-road) over the mini-puke.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: The truth uncovered

Who is John Galt?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Don't confuse the guy...

... it's hard enough getting through the day having to decide between two viewpoints. Giving him the idea that there may be an infinity of viewpoints will cause his brain to turn into mush... well more mush.

Keep it simple:

The Democrats who blundered us in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam are peace loving. We know this because they say so. It's not their fault that they were at the helm at the point of the bloodlettings. Oh no. They are so peaceloving. Remember how Mr. Wonderful Clinton resolved all that Balkans trouble so peacefully? They are so peaceloving. Now they are going to end the strife in the Middle East by sending over "good vibes" or some other equally effective solution. Well I don't know what solution they have actually. All they do is blame Bush for everything.. but they offer no alternative except the old worthless raise taxes and use diplomacy yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe they can bring back Jimmy "Kim Jong-Il is a nice guy" Carter.

Yeah, that'll help.

So Bush has blundered us into Iraq. What is our alternative?

Too bad that the only choices the we get are between two repugnant political extortion gangs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts