Motorcycle Forums banner
81 - 100 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I totally agree. Ultimate performance is a combination of many things, one of the biggest being the rider.

I'm also not saying that everyone should buy litrebikes, or that one type of bike is "better" than another.

My point is very basic: peak engine torque values alone aren't very useful for determining comparative performance. As was shown, a bike with lower absolute engine torque values may in fact put more torque to the wheel because of the ability to deliver that torque at high revs.

-- Michael

·
Registered
235 Posts
There is only one catch; and that's catch 22.

If the american market wanted a light, sporty, agile cruiser (which wouldn't be a cruiser at all) then they would be plentiful and common. It's simple supply and demand.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: Is Motorcycle Online going to change its name to Cruiser Online?

Sorry guys I'm with KPaul on this one.....

I'm not really complaining too much because MO has pretty good sportbike reviews when they occur. Anyhoo....

IMHO, reviews on cruisers (despite the fact that they are the majority of the market) are redundant because cruisers are purchased based almost exclusively for subjective reasons. No matter what any review says most buyers are going to buy the one they want regardless.

Plus, there's no real engineering contest in the cruiser department. The efforts at making things lighter---more powerful---faster---better are all in the hi-po sportbike realm. The latest & greatest cruiser is still a cruiser-----the lastest and greatest sportbike is the pinnacle of consumer-grade motorcycle engineering. It's just more intruiging reading.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Re: Tear each others' throats out

03 civic hybreds can be had for 17k off the lot. Test drove one today, the wife liked it and it looks like a normal car. Then I headed over to subi and drove a WRX, sat in a STI and a Mazda RX8. Too much fun to be had for 30k this year...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

A solipsism if ever there was one.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

"Just what kind of "happening" are you talking about?"

If you forget your obsession of the bikers (they have kicked your butt in the past, eh?) and focus momentarily on the main thing, this is what I am talking about:

- 1800cc V2

- 1800cc boxer 6

- 2000cc V2

- 2300cc inline 3

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yes you are right. Harley has what no other has: the brand name.

But where the market has profoundly switched is that H-D has lost the grunt leadership.

If you look at the car market, the BMW and Merc are on top because they have systematically strived to have the best V-8:s, V-12:s, the power and technological leadership. Unassailable leadership of RR, Bentley, Jaguar, Cadillac and other prestige makes was demolished.

Yes there are the hard core H-D people who will not change. But the middle ground, where the battle is fought, the tide is turning.

I have a fatso, and I am quite happy if not overwhelmed with it. But when I look at the torq & hp figures, its clear next one will not be a H-D. I have some ****** brains.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
108 Posts

Yeah, that's right. 355lb, 990cc V5 and V4 race bikes pushing 245rwhp, or $10k literbikes with 155rwhp and <400lbs - stock, they got nothing on a $15k, 800lb 2000cc Farmall. Please.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Cruisers aren't used that way.

Nothing circular about it. Why should someone who only rides in the city care about the ability to carve a canyon? Why would someone who largely rides the Interstate want a twitchy flywheel-effect free torture rack? It makes no sense.

Do you own a car? If so then I hope it is a Porsche TurboCarrera. Anything else is crap, right?

Why do you insist on comparing apples and oranges? You should criticize Cessna because their light communter planes won't travel at twice the sound speed of sound.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try a Yamaha FZ1, Kawasaki ZRX, Ducati ST4 and Aprilia Futura just to name a few. They all have close to sport bike performance without the difficult riding positon.

Buzflyd don't post your usual response, take of while to think of something original...

81 - 100 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.