Motorcycle Forums banner
121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Going slow is fun?!?!? When did this s*** start!?!? I never noticed anything fun about it.....

To quote Ewan McGregor in the MotoGP documentary "Faster" trailer:

"How do they do it? Why do they do it? Always riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning, and always faster, and faster, and faster....."

Of course I don't expect to live out my golden years with that philosophy but hey, going out in a blaze of fiery glory has its advantages too. I intend to make the news with my passing. Unless I get married first.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
What rubbish. Torque is that when you cruise at 1800 RPM, you twist the throttle and almost snap your girlfriend's neck.

Torque is not, like some uninformed would like you to believe (I did not mention any names, Michael), that when you have 155hp at rear wheel at 7,400 RPM, off you buzz.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: You got it....

And she'll quickly go from that to prefering the guy who has room to haul the kids and grandma around along with a cell phone so she can tell him what to pick up from the grocery store on the way home so perhaps this isn't the best analogy. LOL

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: The truth uncovered

No we didn't get the truth from Bush. However, this crap is straight from the mouth of the DNC and if you think you'll get the truth from them you've got another thing coming----and it's what the Soviet Union got rid of a few years back.

You want the truth vote libertarian or constitutionalist.

·
Registered
170 Posts
WTF, over? Ya lost me in that second para.

Torque is force. Acceleration of a bike follows the torque curve.

Horsepower is the ability to do work over time.

If a bike is operating at the HP peak, this means that *for that speed* the bike is putting the most torque to the wheel/thrust to the road that it possibly can. In an ideal world, we'd have CVTs, and under hard acceleration the engine would always be reving at the power peak...

-- Michael

·
Registered
170 Posts
It was a thought experiment - to illustrate why comparing just the absolute peak torque value is not all that useful. I had a disclaimer at the end of my post after all... :)

Let's look at a real world example.

Question - what puts the highest peak torque to the rear wheel in first gear: a Buell XB12R or a Yamaha R6?

Place your bets folks, before we continue!

From

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/03_Funny_Twins/index.motml

XB12R 72.6 lbft @5750 rpm

From

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/03_600s/dynos/600TQ03.jpg

it's not amazingly clear, but we'll say

R6 44.3 [email protected],000 rpm

Anybody change their bet yet? :) If you still focus on the absolute number, you'd say Buell, right?

Now, let's factor in gearing.

For the Buell

http://www.buell.com/en_us/products/motorcycles/firebolt/12r/12r_features.asp

we see that the first gear reduction is:

(1.5)*(2.407)*(2.688) = ~ 9.7

For the R6

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitspecs.asp?lid=2&lc=mcy&cid=5&mid=8

the first gear reduction is:

(1.955)*(3)*(2.846) = ~ 16.69

And to find the torque to the back wheel...

XB12R 72.6 * 9.70 = ~704 lbft

R6 44.3 * 16.69 = ~739 lbft

So it appears that the correct answer is: the R6! [1]

That's why comparing absolute engine torque numbers isn't all that useful. Horsepower is a bit better, but personally I like to actually see what the thrust curves[2] are, 'cause then you'll see the effects of gearing.[3]

-- Michael

[1] And before I get flamed I'd like to point out that the R6 is significantly faster than the XB12R in the 1/4. There's a reason for that...this isn't just theory!

[2] This involves an additional calculation, based on the tire size, and the "lever" that the torque acts on wrt the ground.

[3] And even this isn't perfect. Another discussion for another time... :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Is Motorcycle Online going to change its name to Cruiser Online?

I would loathe the world in which people only owned the bike that they thought would get them around willow springs in the least amount of time for the least amount of money.

Pry yer little brain open, and wrap it around the idea that it's perfectly legitimate to buy a bike, or anything else, for reasons other than what's on the stat sheet.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree with you, but what else is there? Some of the other chat rooms are much worse, with lots of profanity and shallow bull*&%# going on, do you know of any good websites, that a gearhead can enjoy?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ah.... The human condition.

Love it or hate it it's certainly here to stay.

Though I opted for a 4WD (that I actually use *gasp* off-road) over the mini-puke.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.