Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the two have virtualy no similarity, so the first thing you may want to do is ask yourself, what do you want to use the bike for? What do you expect to get out of the bike and riding in general? I personaly think that those are the most important questions that riders, esp. new ones can ask themselves before making a purchase. That said, The Vulcan 750 is one of the last of the functional cruisers. Not going after "the look" so much as more modern cruisers, the 750 Vulcan offers amenities that others have forgotten about, ones that you would find useful in the middle of say a week long trip.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My Dad has a 95 750 Vulcan. The bike has about 20,000 on it now. It has been trouble free. I've ridden it a bit. I like the engine, it has enough power to be fun. Fuel mileage is usually in the low 40's, so the range isn't too bad, but watch it if you are pushing a strong headwind. Ask me how I know.

It is a little more function over form than some of the other Japanese cruisers. That may have hurt its popularity a little because it doesn't look like a fake Harley, but I think that makes it a better motorcycle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You`d be better off and much more pleased w/a 05 left over or nice used 1200R Sportster.

They will hold value better,handle infinitely better,and be MUCH more fun.

Do not let 1200cc scare you.The Sporty is a very good and predictable machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Vulcan 750 is a good choice, for more than a few reasons. As other have elude too, it is not like the current crop of cruisers, it has an 80 design which makes more functional, and it has enough power to get you in to trouble (if you choose). It has a centerstand, hydraulic Lash adjusters, liquid cooled, both a temp and fuel gauge, Tach, plus Insurance should be much more reasonable than a race bike. They handle well (obviously you should take a safety course), and don’t let any fool you, they can be tipped into corners. I like the looks of the Vulcan, but that is just me.

It is lighter than other "similar" sized cursers out there now. The only other like it still around in the Suzuki 800 intruder (now called the s50).

I have a 1984 VT700 Honda Shadow (i got it about 4 years ago with 15,000 miles on it) that I still commute daily on. It is very similar functionally and to the vn750. The reason I haven’t traded yet is because the shadow is running well. I have considered trading it in on the vn750, but no need with it still running well. I think the XL1200R sportster (2004+) is a good choice too, smaller tank however. On a side note I like the looks of the XL883R as well, which I could find a review of the 2004+ 883r...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've owned the bike and it's fine...I also currently own a late model kawasaki cruiser. That said, honestly bro I'd stick to someone else's advice here and get a gently used 1200 sporster. This bike is often upgraded to a bigger HD model so they are fairly abundant and can be had for a fair price. The Vulcan 750 on the other hand will depreciate incredibly quickly, and sad but true to say, it will probably be your bike for the duration of its lifetime unless you're prepared to take a big hit on resale. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know, I've never understood the re-sale argument (especialy when, you know, it seems like the main argument) when buying a bike but that's just me. I do know this. I refreshed my Sporster knowledge by going to the Harley website. A new 1200R in any color other than black goes for about $8,800. A new Vulcan 750's MSRP is about $6,200 and then you can consider that you can buy almost any Japanese bike for under MSRP, especially leftovers (highly likely with the Vulcan). I easily see a bike in the high $5,000 range. Again, I would think about what you want to use the bike for. If I was thinking maybe a road trip say from NY to NC, I'd glady take the shaft drive, hydraulic valve, liquid cooled, tach, fuel and temp guage, centerstanded Vulcan. Oh and it weighs about 75lbs less.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
A friend of mine at work has one. He likes it pretty well. It needs a windshield though if you are going to use it on the Interstates. In my experience Ksakis tend (tend, mind you) to be more user friendly maintenancewise than the other Japanese manufactrers.

He says that he wishes he had kept his old GS850G, though.

Myself, in that price range, I'd scout out a 1200 Bandit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try to find a good used one...the depreciation is then a moot point. Also, get what YOU want and what will suit YOU best. Why does someone have to always suggest the Sportster?? It's apples & oranges. The Kawi is a motorcycle, the Sporrster is a tractor by any modern standard. Oh yeah, after about 50 years, Harley decided to rubber mount the engine after countless fillings had been lost. I'm surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit filed for just inferior engineering and numb butts. But hey, they don't depreciate. Can't argue against good business practices, though. Sell an inferior product, make people want it and want to pay for it....now that's marketing!!! Although I rant a little, i'm not against Harleys...I'm for anybody that's riding. I just have my preferences, too. Motor on MORONS!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had a Vulcan 750 for a few months. Bought new, at MSRP. I am very happy with it. Like many here (and like yourself) I was also thinking Sporster 1200. I picked the Vulcan because of everything that has been said above, including price difference. Consider that if you added all the "amenities" of a VN750 (including a decent seat), you'd pay twice as much. I added soft saddlebags and the V-force windshield, small, sporty and efficient (ca. $150). The windshield makes a big difference on the highway. I am going to get a rear rack (%95 from Kawasaki) and I am ready to go anywhere. Before this I had a Vulcan 500, and I have been on 600 mile trips without a shield (I am not saying I got to my destination fresh as a rose). On the highway I used to suffer the lighter weight of the 500 (of course, I am 140lb, so consider that). The 750 seemed to me the only rational choice to move a little up in size without giving up in power. The 500 also had an unreasonably expensive belt, which did its job for 10 years but it cost $350 to replace. Here maintainance costs are much lower. Don't let usual (un)wisdom fool you. Unless you are willing to spend serious time on your bike and you have the mechanical skills, you'll end up having the dealer do your major service. In that case, water cooled engines may require more labor than air cooled, but between labor and parts, you'll save by having a Kaw rather than a Harley.

·
Registered
38 Posts
One more thing: about resale.

1) If you buy something like a Vulcan 750, it means you want something to USE. This is the kind of bike you want to pack miles on, use it in rain or sun, in rush hour and on the weekend (if you need a weekend, highway bike, why not a Harley, right?). This means you will have a bike with lots of miles and below the Blue Book value, no matter how much you care about it.

2) Try and find used Vulcan 750. You will find them, but not as many as other Japanese cruisers. Just like Crown Victorias or Broncos in decent conditions!

3) On the other hand, because they work and feel differently from what many think a cruiser should work and feel, you can still find low-mileage slightly used ones from people who got bored after a few months. These bikes will be priced $1,500-2,000 below MSRP and will not loose more than 1K in the following couple of years. I don't know what the heck people mean by resale value, unless they refer to Harleys that, for some unknown reasons, seem to sell at 2k over MSRP one year after they are out of the dealer. But that's not related to motorcycling, IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Simple answer, get the vulcan.

It's very low maintenance, which means less cost and less headache. The engine in the vulcan is quite good, the bike will trounce an unmodified sportster 1200 in the 1/4 mile (the 750 is as fast as the 1500 vulcan in the 1/4 mile).

With a centerstand, shaft drive, hydraulice lifters, all you need to do is change the oil every 3000-4000 miles and ride it till it drops. Probably one of the last cruisers meant for people who ride simply because they like to ride, as opposed to the 'me too' crowd.

·
Registered
480 Posts
WOW!You folks really care! thanks for all the advice,I,ll probably get the vulcan as for ease of maintenance and price.See I have a lot of motorcycle friends.I have my msf license for two yrs and my friends were kind enough to loan me their bikes.[old ones] so off and on I have been riding a kawai 500 ltd,a zook gfs 500,and a klr.also rode a dyna.and a 400 burgman,and a 650 cs.So as you can see my friends have been driving me nuts!So I come to my other friends ,you folks.If any of you plan to come to vegas drop me a line here,and we will go out!Will let you know what exactly I did buy,as I am not biased toward any bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, since my GSX-R600 was stolen Saturday night I would be perfectly happy with any freaking bike...

Chango

Bikeless and Unhappy

Conway, AR

·
Registered
480 Posts
I intend on riding,not posing,my friends would beat me up.Even my colleague that I work with who is 5ft 2 and rides a dyna,does not pose,he rides to work most of the time,and has been riding since 1970,s bonneville,s .I am part of the baby boomer generation 54yrs old,but I fail to see why when you go thru the process of msf,insurance,payments, etc,why would you pose? I intend to pay cash straight up ,and I,m going to send my wife in there,so they stand no chance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.