Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They obviously interviewed a well informed source who is actively involved in motorcycles, judging from inciteful quotes such as, "The problem is, those Harleys weigh a couple hundred pounds, and they're a whole different animal than a car."



I'd like to see one of these Harley's that only weighs, "...a couple hundred pounds..."



Maybe all the victims were trying to pass RV's. . .

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
From the article:
"In about a third of the fatal crashes, the rider was not legally endorsed to drive a motorcycle, and inexperience appears to be a factor in the rising death count, he said."

So the answer to this is to crack down on aggressive drivers? I at least hope they mean aggressive cage drivers as well. 75% of my near misses are from cages driving poorly (and sometime illegally). I hate to admit the other 25% is from my own stupidity.

---grieve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Excellent point! Take out the unlicensed third and the fatality rate increases proportionally with the increase in registrations.



So how does the fuzz respond to the unlicensed rider issue? "The patrol is planning a crackdown on aggressive motorcycle driving using aerial surveillance and infrared cameras this week."



Is everybody in Washington State as stupid as Kpaul?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,903 Posts
Dudes

Dude #1: Hey dude, can I ride your new Gixxer?

Dude #2: Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?

Dude #1: No, but I have TT on Playstation 2.

Dude #2: Cool, just don't crash it ok?

Dude #1: Right on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
"aggressive motorcycle driving "



That's a code phrase for "sportbike". Ironic, since the crash example they used was a lady on a Harley.



Obviously they don't see drunken, inexperienced, no protective gear cruiser riding as a problem? Those sportbikes are the problem!



Male Bovine Excrement!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Iraq is for a good reason, continued freedom for terror here and freedom for Iraqis, if they want it. Motorcyclist deaths are from a variety of reasons, two being stupid riders and stupid cage drivers. It's easier to curb stupid riders, first by summarily pulling their license (if they even have one) for a period of time and education about motorcycles and riding. We all can't be as lucky (or dumb) as Big Ben Rosthlisburger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Re: Dudes

This actually happened this past weekend:

Dude#1: Hey dude, can I ride your new 999?

Me: Have you ever ridden a streetbike before?

Dude #1: No, but I have dirt bike.

Me: When hades freezes!

Dude #1: Waaaaaahh!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Re: Dudes

LOL. True enough, however if the report has any accuracy, that's not the demographic they're saying is crashing the most -- it's middle-aged cruiser riders with no real knowledge or experience of how or what they're riding. At least that's what I gleaned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
While the subject is not funny at all, especially since I ride in WA. once a week while living in Portland, some of the quote are hillarious. "Even with a helmet and leathers, there's nothing between you and the roadway..", well except for the helmet and leathers I just mentioned. Not too mention the too light Harley he previously referenced. Non-sensical article about a serious subject.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Re: Dudes

That sounds correct to me:

Where I live in Doddrige Co, WV population 6500 souls. There have been 3 cruiser deaths so far this riding season and 0 (Zero) deaths on any other type bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Nice sarcasm! ;-)



That's what 300+ billion was supposed to pay for. Me thinks it's went down the pockets of private/corporate armies and not our own "legit" soldiers, but let's leave local police enforcement money to protect local areas... BushCo has plenty of taxpayer money to buy surveillance with... if only they'd have had an exit strategy.



But I digress. Back to bikes! ;-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,903 Posts
Re: Dudes

The Harley P&A catalog came in the mail yesterday and it's about 2 inches thick. So, in addition to cruiser crashes you could put postal worker's hernias into the mix of injury accidents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
"Why target aggression? Inexperance seems to be the problem.Training is the key."



Why ???? Often aggression (show-boating, wheelies down I-5, excessive speed and weaving) and inexperience go hand-in-hand



 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top