Registered
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Rock me, Roll me, Wankel me off.................."

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah; check out the trick "underbody" radiator/air dam. Probably a rock-hole-magnet, but clever use of "excess space".

From what I know of the 12a/13b rotary, that exhaust is somewhat less than the ideal tuned-length...........

·
Banned
20 Posts
Interesting. Wonder what it sounds like. I would love to take it for a ride. Wonder what the torque characteristics are like. Is it like a V-Twin or more line an inline 4? I have only test driven an RX-7, I remember it loved to be reved high. But that was in a 2000 lb plus car... Only pushing around 400-500 lbs around might a lot different...Ah never mind according to ksquid only 4 cylinders rule. Guess that means that I'm an idiot for lusting for a Ducati...

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I have a soft spot for rotaries being a former RX7 owner. I'll bet that thing is loud!

Back in the days of the IMSA series I would attend the races at Del Mar (not where the surf meets the turf, but where the screech meets the beach).

The Mazda 4 rotor prototypes sounded like a gigantic beehive on a 'roid rage.

Wonder if it torques over like a Beemer when you rev it?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don't think you're tricking anyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
rotary engines aren't typically torque monsters.. that is why they depend on high RPM's. So I can imagine that bike is REALLY loud, and requires quite a few rpms to get it going.. but I bet it is a fast bike. .. I would wonder it it has problems with all the rotating mass.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Rotary Motors and torque explained

kzxer Rotary motors because of their small displacement depend on high rpms to make torque. Cylinder displacement detemines torque. i.e. a Ducati Twin cyclinder bike has a cylinder over 500 cc. That displacement creates more fuel burning thus more force. vs a tiny 250 cc cylinder for a inline liter 4.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
kconspiracy?

Ah judging from you other comment you think kzxer is me... Silly rabbit. yes I really ride a ZX-7R (dog) and I know nothing about torque.. right..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cooling?

The rotaries run mighty hot, and I am pretty sure that thing would cook in traffic. Even my little Hercules (Sachs) air cooled Wankel, with all of 25 RWHP (or so it was claimed), seemed mighty unhappy to sit there idling or poking along in a traffic jam. With the air scoop on the bike shown, it might have enough air flow to keep the temperature within limits, at highway speeds, but most of us have to slow down to ride home and park.

Norton and Suzuki also made rotaries, with more substantial radiators. It's interesting to note that neither one is available, today.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You beat me to it... so to speak.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.