Motorcycle Forums banner

Bike Choices for situation explained below...

• Touring Scooter

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Standard Motorcycle

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Street Bike/Crotch Rocket

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cruiser

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've recently graduated high school, and with the trend of gas prices, I'm really looking into motorcycles as a mostly primary form of transportation.

I live in South Texas, so the weather out here is tolerable for motorcycle riding 90% of the time (clear/cloudy skies, hot/windy) and it also hardly ever gets cold.

I was wondering, for local riding around a main street that's sometimes busy, and a small amount of highway riding, what would be a good, fuel efficient, yet powerful bike for me to ride at least 40-50 miles a week?

I'm mostly interested in touring scooters, street bikes, cheaper cruisers, and some standard bikes.

So let me know what you guys think!

Corey

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
There are a lot of good options, Corey. What we would recommend is to take the motorcycle foundation safety class, which would give you the training to ride with some safety while you start. It would also give you some ideas about what you like or not like about the little bikes the training class uses.

Other than that. we recommend starting with a smaller, used bike so that it's easier to manage and won't get you as upset when you drop the bike! (All of us experienced riders drop the bike too. We just know how to pretend it was on purpose. ;) ) For example, the Kawasaki Ninja 250 has a big following here, for good reason - it's a hugely capable bike. Some of the scooters are also good; both Honda and Suzuki make good ones.

Make sure you read the sticky threads in this forum so you can see what we have advised other new riders.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.