Motorcycle Forums banner

Washington State proposed bill against profiling

7K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  dylanmo 
#1 ·
Well, what do you expect? If you're out there trying to have too much fun someone has to put a stop to it. We can't have all these freaking motorcyclists endangering the little, old ladies in the gigantic, new SUV's. The police are simply trying to ensure that you bunch of hooligans and perverts keep your animal-molesting hands to yourselves...

Chango

#2 ·
So, what's new about this? People in performance vehicles always get scrutinized more closely. No stupid law is gonna change that. The cop just has to claim he wasn't profiling. There are already enough dumb@ss unenforceable laws on the books.

Generally the people on bikes who get speeding tickets get them because they are *gasp* actually speeding. Or hasn't anyone else noticed the morons lanesplitting in traffic that is already travelling at 70mph?

#5 ·
Not too sure of a need for this. Probably a by product of lawyers riding Harleys dressed up like Banditos getting jacked by rookie cops.

Back in the day I used to get pulled over all the time riding my chop. but the only people riding choppers then were 1% so the cops figured they had an excuse. Nowadays I get pulled over for 80 in a 60 and the cop gives me a warning and apologies's for bothering me......go figure.

This actually cracks me up, because these knobs go out and BUY a "CUSTOM", dress up like pirates and play billy-badass on the weekends, then get in a snit because the cops pay attention to them.

I guess getting f****d with by the pigs isn't supposed to be part of the game. LOL

#6 ·
The yuppie answer to everything --- make a law!! They buy their I'm-a-bad-a$$ gear and a get-out-of-my-way-MOfo exhaust, and they wonder why they get stopped? Or is it that they have never been stopped in their Volvos and are shocked that the police would dare even entertain the thought that they could even remotely be considered an outlaw? Sorry, looks matter idiots. Real life isn't a costume party. Seen the guys busted for running meth labs? That's the look the RUBs are trying to get!!

These bozos should just be thrilled that they have fooled the police into thinking they're outlaws. They bought all the right gear at the HD Superstore!

Instead of a new law, a better solution would be huge pink "I'm a poser" stickers that the RUBs could put on their helmets and strategically placed on their bikes so the cops won't waste their time stopping them.

If they don't like getting stopped, just do what I do -- ride a Wee-strom with full bag setup and wear textile gear. I never get stopped :)

-- Alan

#7 ·
Since there were never any REAL badasses in Washington, I'm sure the cops get confused easy over there. I think they should train in some of the wonderful areas of Chicago. I bet most of them wouldn't be cops after a month. At least the ones that made it back could spot a poser at 50 paces. I could tell you a few stories about some clubs and cop run-in's that I was witness to.

#9 ·
Making more laws is stupid. Cops profile because it works. Whether the law is there or not, it's going to continue happening. Departments never have as many cops as they'd like, so they have to play the odds.

If that means that harleys running drag pipes, riced out civics, and cavaliers with the greatful dead dancing bears on the back window getted pulled over more, so be it. Those people are advertising a lifestyle, but are upset when they get attention from cops.

35 and sunny in St Louis, perfect day to commute on the bike! (I envy you warm state people)

#11 ·
I think the best example of a motorist advertising "please stop and search me" was some fool I saw in SoCal in a Chevy pickup truck with a personalized license plate that said "PnmaRed". That even tops a "Grateful Dead" bumper sticker.

#12 ·
Of course profiling is effective, but that doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do, or that it should happen.

You shouldn't have to put up with getting harrassed by cops when you're not doing anything wrong, just because you fit a certain "profile". If a cop has an actual reason to pull me over - if I'm doing something that would get any vehicle in trouble - great, that's no problem. But cops shouldn't profile and stop bikers who aren't doing anything wrong just because they are riding motorcycles.

I've heard plenty of stories of cops pulling over motorcycles just to check their license/registration. I have been stopped by a cop for failing to signal a lane change in Manhattan, where traffic is a free-for-all, and where a car would never in a million years get stopped for something like that. That's profiling, that's abuse of police authority, and it shouldn't happen.

#17 ·
I agree with you. Everytime I got stopped it cause I was speeding. Although I am dressed up in my power ranger outfit, full-face helmet, black theather., bright yellow bike... I don't fit the profile I suspect. Though King County sherifff does seem to like to speed trap for sport bikes on the Green River Road (Auburn-BlackDiamond) a lot in the summer time.

#18 ·
Let's try a different approach then

How about less laws? Make motorcycles exempt from the motor vehicle code other than parking. I'll vote for that. Any experienced rider on a modern sportbike should not be subject to the same lowest-common-denominator traffic laws that are there for the safety of the blue-haired old ladies in their Mercury Medicare sleds.

#19 ·
So in other words, if you have a lifestyle, or do certain things (smoke a bowl, speed on a bike, etc...) that hurts no one else but is socially unacceptable, you should get pulled over more. OK. What country is this again?

The police should be legally confined to catching actual criminals intent on harming others through force or fraud and face criminal sanctions for detaining anyone else without just cause. Any cop that violates the rights of citizens should face jail time. If some criminals go free as a result, so be it.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."-----Thomas Jefferson

#21 ·
Abe, you know that the only reason the police spend all of their time hassling those that commit these ridiculous freedom quashing transgressions is because if they actually had to solve the crimes that have real victims they would all be fired for lack of proper job performance. VWW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.