Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Virago 1100. Just recently I was noticing my gear shift was sticking in the up position after I up shifted. I decided to spray a bunch of wd 40 in the mechanism. Seems to work fine. Took it up the road with no problem. Was wondering however, is there some lubricant in the gear shift that I should worry about changing. The fix seemed a little too easy, or am I good to go.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
The only lubricant the gears have is the same oil you put in the engine. The gear shift lever and any linkages on the outside are exposed to heat, cold, dust and rain. A little wd40 or similar penetrating oil on any exposed moving parts will keep them from binding.

With the exception of course of the brake discs which, while indeed both moving and exposed work much better if they bind at the appropriate times...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
If your shift linkage is rusty then WD40 bill break up the rust and other crud. I use WD40 to rinse my chains occasionally before lubing them. Since WD40 evaporates away rapidly you should get an oil can and fill it with SAE30 and squirt a little on the linkages. Do this every spring and your shifter should work fine.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have to repeat this all the time. Seruzawa got halfway there, but didn't hammer the point home: WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a "Water Displacement" formula. It's designed to drive water out of places it doesn't belong. Because of its volatility (that is, the speed at which it evaporates) it cannot lubricate for long. You should, as Seruzawa said, use a penetrating oil or other appropriate lubricant to ensure your parts continue to move smoothly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very good point sachi. I have an old oil can that will work just fine for that. I was driving and did noticed that it did not move exactly as smooth as it did when I first applied the 40. I am thinking of hiting it with the 30 weight oil and then probably hit it with the greese gun too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.