Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
copy cat engineering?

Kawi wouldn't rebadge a GSXR?? Really. A few years ago they built a vulcan cruiser that tried to copy a soft-tail as closely as possible. Gee, doesn't the suzuki marauder look like a sportster? Hmm, what a coincidence.

Kawasaki Heavy Industries wants out of the bike business and will not ante up the millions it will cost to build a new ZX line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
khi

Any of the stories I have read say that Kawi has been losing money in motorcycles for the past decade. I guess we'll see 5 years from now how this story ends.

·
Registered
31 Posts
uh what was the question?

It seems that the dons DO pay attention to these boards. Kawi just issued a press release denying the rebadging of their sportbikes. And here I was feeling sorry for myself thinking no-one cared. I better shut up before they sic their lawyers on me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
economy of scale

I remember a few years ago I went to a m/c scrapyard to look for some parts. I saw a box of several rear brake drums, all of them just slightly different, just enough so they could not transfer from one model to another. If you look at 600 sportbikes, the situation is that 4 manufacturers are building what is basically the same bike. This does not make a lot of sense. Harley stretches a model for decades. The sportster is laughable in terms of technology but a 1980 cylinder will fit on a 1999 crankcase( I think) The downside of rapid model evolution is high cost of repair. One piston for a m/c is $150 but an entire set of pistons for a chevy v8 is $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts