Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Ok, I've had a chance to look around a bit. There's a lot of information. That's good. The forums work well. That's superb. I can ignore the Forum Pest. I'm just delighted! That's worth a buck a month.

On the other hand, I agree with those posters who believe there is too much on the page, particularly the home page. Actually, looking at the page in some detail, I suspect it is not the amount of information so much, but the way it's presented. Look at the sizes of the boxes -- several of the boxes in the middle of the page are different. This stylistic gaffe is compounded by putting the buyer's guide, which stylistically matches the manufacturer list and the shoot-outs list, on the opposite side of the page.

Also, the use of colors is highly distracting and confusing. I suspect that you wanted to use different colors to make different things stand out, but with so many different elements on one page, that does not work. All it does is lead to visual clutter that makes it hard to see and tires you out when you try to find what you need.

You can clean up a LOT of the clutter by simply removing duplication. For example, you have the same string of links (shoot-outs, reviews, products, how-to, events, and forums) at both top and bottom. Also, you list shoot-outs not only there but in a box in the middle AND another box along the side! Geeze, people, we get it! You have shoot-outs! Give us ONE link and make it worth our while.

Finally, ditch the Vote for MO Babe crap. Grow up or lose the 1/3 of the riding population that happens to be female.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
And if they want to scold the boys about looking at pretty girls ... well, they've got husbands, boyfriends, sons, bosses and co-workers to hector. They don't need to do it here, too.
I don't care about looking. That's normal enough (as you said). It's the emphasis on the home page that I think is misplaced. And as I said, the voting (for goddess's sake) ought to die an early death.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Oh, I dunno, Derrick. I use the "New Posts" button and that brings up the threads that people have actually posted to since I was last here. When I'm done, I click on the "Mark threads read" button. That way, when I next visit and hit the new posts button, I don't get any reruns. I can read everything new, or at least everything new that has any interest to me. I don't miss a thing, and I can respond to anyone just as I did before.

One thing we have noticed is that the new format seems to be encouraging new people to post, and that's a good thing, don't you think?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Schizuki, I used to own a '69 Norton and a '64 Bonneville. They were fabulous bikes! I reworked the electrics (mostly the wiring) and had the Amal carbs sleeved in stainless, and after that they were pretty darn dependable. But they needed tickling and of course they were kick starts, and they vibrated a good bit. But by dang, they were a couple of the most enjoyable bikes I've ever owned.

It's not always about the conveniences. Loving what you ride is important. A lot of people love riding Harleys, and more power to 'em.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.