Motorcycle Forums banner
201 - 220 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm Back

Everything looks great, I like it.

I was a regular here from the time Motorcycle Online began in the 90s until it went to subscription only. Over the years I have checked in regularly to see what's up, but never broke down and forked over the subscription money. Not because it was too expensive, but because it was a bad idea in the first place. The best motorcycle site on the Internet should be able to support itself with ad revenue if smaller competitors can (and do, and did) get enough ad revenue and survive.

Anyway, great job!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have one more suggestion. I think you should have the user's handle displayed more conspicuously when you are logged in. If you elect to login automatically (remember me/this computer) and you run into problems getting around - or even if you don't - it's hard to tell if you are logged in. I say put "You are logged in as XXXX" on the red line directly below Motorcyle.com.
And I'm still getting broken links to the manufacturers

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Glad to hear the many positive comments, gang! We've obviously done some things right. For those who aren't crazy about the new design, we're listening to your comments and evaluating them. A combination of a few weeks of acclimatization to the new look and some evolutionary tweaks to the site will hopefully result in many happy viewers.

Thanks again for tuning in. We really do care about you and want to create the best possible online experience for everyone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One word advice: Simplify.

I open the site now, and can't find sh*t. Look at the simple elegance of google.

The forum is very disappointing. It just is too complicated and works erratic. Forums as-is are not really state-of-the-art in 2007, more like 1999. Blogs (which is a forum under a different format) are way to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At the end of your articles on the old site, you would have a bunch of thumbnails of pics from the article, which linked to high-quailty pics in various resultions. Will these re-appear and continue? I have many a pic for my ever-changing wallpaper. It makes work almost bearable...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow! I just knew if I waited for years and didn't subscribe that you guys would go back to free eventually. You blinked, I win, muahahahahah!!! Oh yeah, the new site looks great. Did anyone ever finish those cartoons? *wanders off to check*

·
Registered
466 Posts
Time Warp

I just logged in, clicked on QuickLinks->Today'sPosts and get a page with topics like "First Ride Aprilla RST1000 Futura" and "1997 Yamaha Road Star".
Then I clicked on NewPosts button and got the same stories.
I can't even find stuff that I was reading yesterday but I'm still poking around...

·
Registered
466 Posts
OH. Now I am seeing new(er) stories. The list that I saw is still there but yesterday's stories are starting to appear at the top as people post more today. That is very confusing if yesterday's stories age completely off the NewPosts every 24 hours and all that is left is that block of ancient stories. I suppose I am still expecting the MO-1 (or shall we call it MO-classic ?) completely chronological listing of stories at all times.
If you guys want to get hits on this site then you need to get the Forum a lot more user-friendly. It was the reason users came to the old MO, primarily to BS and chat. Everything else is secondary.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are way too many broken links. I don't know if you guys are constantly makeing real time changes to production, but there's a lot of bad links that are different day to day. And I'm using a standard Wintel box with the latest IE browser.
www.motorcycle.com comes up but with the formatting all skewed to the left - even after refresh.
<<http://www.motorcycle.com/index.html>> is a dead link, which is what you get when you click on the masthead.

Other dead links on the main page: Products, aprilia, triumph, ktm, suzuki, and honda.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Arrgh, see it's even frustrating that I can't write down the link without it getting stripped.

·
Registered
125 Posts
And I agree with a lot of other people. The forum is worse than before. You don't have to be old and feeble to have a hard time getting around anymore. There are way too many categories and sub categories. You don't even need the subcategories unless you're expecting the readership to increase 4000%.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Display modes doesn't work.
Jesus I'm going to have to start working now. Thanks for nothin MO!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
BrowningBAR sez...

In a closed thread somewhere else in this forum chaos, BrowningBAR said:

"You need to start using your Quick Links button. Click on Quick Links and then go to Today's Posts. It will take you to a list of the most recent posts as they happen throughout the day. This allows you to see who posted what and when. Once you select a post it will take you to that portion of the thread with minimal clicking and thread scrolling. I keep my forum setting to Hybrid so I know where I am at on the forum."

And you consider this as simple as the previous system which required no "quick links" buttons or extra clicking at all? Sorry, but you're going to run out of lipstick long before you cover this pig.

"It is completely different than the last forum and the community structure will change."

There will be no community. Just lots of people posting their own thoughts but not interacting with others because it's not worth the trouble to click through all of the posts. Just people talking past each other. I repeat, I don't know what's going on with 90% of this thread, because it's not worth the goddamn work to read them.

"But I think as we all adapt the communication will be just as biting and sarcastically dry as before."

We got to know each other before. It will be nearly impossible to do that now. No inside jokes, no ongoing funny discussions... ain't gonna happen. These forums will be dull as dishwater.

It's been five days. Is there an entertaining news thread going on somewhere? On the old site, we were all in the same place (the top three threads of the news, which required a whopping three clicks to read EVERYTHING). I got a laugh every day. Can't say the same for this week. You?

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
The easiest way I've found so far is to mark all forums read and then click on New Posts instead of Today's Posts. There's a lot less to scroll through that way.

But yeah I agree with the rest of it. We should have news topics in chronological order so we can all fight in the same room.

201 - 220 of 371 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.