Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Indian Motorcycles : Videos

Seems they pulled one out of their ass - it is NOT merely another Evo or TwinCam clone....

Not that I'll be in the market for one, but I have to hand it to the "New Indian". (they still seem to be acting as if the brand weren't defunct for essentially the last 60-odd years, and that's kinda weird, though)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
They like to pretend that they are the oldest motorcycle company in the world. The irony is that by using their standards Royal Enfield is even older. Royal Enfield invented the word "motorcycle".

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Some of the marketing in that video reminded me of the marketing from the early Victory ads. It makes me wonder if they'll be drawing additional market share from HD, or simply cannibalizing their own Victory customer base. I don't see the metric cruiser buyer in either space, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
The most interesting thing will be pricing. Victorys aren't exactly budget bikes.

One would think these would be priced higher than the Victory line. That puts you in Harley CVO territory.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Ask a premium, discount the hell out of them then file bankrupcy and bail with the investors and suckers money....

Pretty much par for the course with the new iterations of "Indian" vs1,2,3,4,ad nauseam

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ask a premium, discount the hell out of them then file bankrupcy and bail with the investors and suckers money....

Pretty much par for the course with the new iterations of "Indian" vs1,2,3,4,ad nauseam
Naysayers Gonna Naysay....

·
Registered
2,447 Posts

I dunno, Polaris hasn't missed a step yet. Even that gawdawful "Vision" paid off by providing a platform for several other less-stupid looking touring bikes that have sold well.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It's all kind of goofy. Frame of reference colloquialism.

If Darrell Waltrip screams, "The 48 is all ate up with engine!" It just doesn't sound the same.
You are right. It does sound funny. While colloquially interchanged, there is a difference between a motor and an engine. In common usage, an engine burns or otherwise consumes fuel, and is differentiated from an electric motor that derives power without changing the composition of matter. Another way of looking at it is that a motor receives power from an external source, and then converts it into mechanical energy, while an engine creates power from pressure (derived directly from the explosive force of combustion or other chemical reaction, or secondarily from the action of some such force on other substances such as air, water, or steam). When an engine is being observed as an independent entity it is then proper to refer to it as an engine. As in not part of the encompassing machine. I would like to take credit for all data referenced here but I freely admit to copying some of it.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
You are right. It does sound funny. While colloquially interchanged, there is a difference between a motor and an engine. In common usage, an engine burns or otherwise consumes fuel, and is differentiated from an electric motor that derives power without changing the composition of matter. Another way of looking at it is that a motor receives power from an external source, and then converts it into mechanical energy, while an engine creates power from pressure (derived directly from the explosive force of combustion or other chemical reaction, or secondarily from the action of some such force on other substances such as air, water, or steam). When an engine is being observed as an independent entity it is then proper to refer to it as an engine. As in not part of the encompassing machine. I would like to take credit for all data referenced here but I freely admit to copying some of it.
Perhaps motor is short for motorized.

Either way, my BMW is all ate up with motor!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You are right. It does sound funny. While colloquially interchanged, there is a difference between a motor and an engine. In common usage, an engine burns or otherwise consumes fuel, and is differentiated from an electric motor that derives power without changing the composition of matter.
I sorta understood the difference, but this is a very good explanation. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
No, your nice motor is all ate up with BMW.

Sure wish they'd make a "sport" version of that 6. I couldn't afford it, but I'd love to see it released into the wild.
I'd love to as well but I don't think you every will. It would take a mighty feat of engineering to hide all the plumbing to make it acceptable as a naked bike.

And then naked bikes don't sell all that well.

The sound is intoxicating. There is nothing like it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.