Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post? Well, I believe New Mexico has them beat. Fatalities in Albuquerque alone are up 400%. Almost every weekend there's another report about some biker either getting killed by a car driver or by getting drunk and crashing. I think riding in Baghdad would be safer than here. But still, it's really great riding here...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Wow. I'm shocked. How is it the Welsh can grasp the root of the problem (lack of rider training) while our enlightened legislators in the U.S. keep trying to treat the symptom (the motorcycle)?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
...our enlightened legislators in the U.S. keep trying to treat the symptom (the motorcycle)?

Because their moms wouldn't allow them to ride motorcycles when they were young and now they blame their insecurity on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
When they were kids they stayed up late watching scary biker movies, now they subconsciously fear motorcycles, and the RUBS that live in their gated community

All that aside, my family is Welsh, when we used to visit as a kid I used to think what a cool place to ride it was. I'd love to go back now and shred some corners.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I hope Welsh roads are better than Cornish!

When I was stationed in Cornwall, I remember thinking how awful most of the roads there would be for a bike, except maybe the A roads.

Between the Cornish walls (solid rock, and 8-10 feet high, about an inch from the right-o-way) and the sheep crossings, not to mention the lack of viz and the manner in which the locals used most of the road, yeesh!

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
OK listen up Gray Pony Tails

"Many are ‘born again bikers’ with insufficient skills ..." A co-worker I know in his late 40s just bought a Valkeryrie for his first bike ever. I asked him why he didn't buy a smaller bike he said he wouldn't fit in with his buddies. Now the Valk is probably the best handling cruiser excluding the Mean Streak, V-Rod, and Warrior, but still I think the guy is nuts. I also asked if he took the MSF class he said he didn't need it. He was going to ride with his permit and then take the test.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: OK listen up Gray Pony Tails

This begs the question: has he already polluted the gene pool (i.e., reproduced), or can we count on his new Valkyrie to ensure that he's a genetic dead end? Because he's obviously too stupid to live.

If it's the macho thing bothering him, well, hell, even Clint Eastwood (as Harry Callahan) once said that a man's got to know his limitations.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wee Short Legs

When I began riding, my legs reached the ground from the sporting bikes of that era. Now I may be fatter, but I am not shorter than I was. Now most sportbikes are taller than I would like. I realize the engineering need, but i would appreciate it if someone would tell me why the manufacturers make few bikes for those of us who are shorter. Are we, the vertically challenged, to be faced with riding cruisers or going through the arduous, and oftimes expensive task of shortening our bikes? Thankfully, Suzuki has provided shortening directions for the SVs. Maybe they'll start making sportbikes that those of us who have a 30 inch inseam can ride.

Vlad

·
Registered
238 Posts
Be nice to see the age group and CC size. From the "born again bikers" quote I would take it these are empty nesters purchasing big heavy weight cruisers and wadding them up. It's sad to see what fueled the bike rush of the last 10 years kill it off as well.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: OK listen up Gray Pony Tails

Good point. I watched him in the parking lot the other day trying to make a sharp right out of the lot onto the street. He looked so awkward, I'm sure he will dump sometime.

·
Registered
281 Posts
No surprise here if one takes a look at the Brit motorcycle mag line-up and I am amazed that such a small country can support so many glossy publications. Anyway, what strikes me is their manic, cult like adoration of the super sport bike and their encourgment of such loony behavior as sliding the bike into turns, knee down whenever possible, and one article celebrated the clown that hit 186 mph at night on a public road!

emcg

·
Registered
27 Posts
"Record-setting levels."

I mean, seriously - a jump of 7 or 8 fatalities is serious, yes... but 18 people choke to death each year on ball-point pens. (or something like that.) Does that mean we shoud have a zero-tolerance policy on pen-chewing? And blame this epidemic on untrained pen-users?

Don't get me wrong - I'm ALL for motorcycle riding classes. It's dangerous and difficult, and if you haven't got the skill to be riding your bike you should have picked something different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like "zero tolerance" was ineffective.

And doing "percent change" on such small figures is ridiculous. Obvious propaganda. My guess is it simply has been a bad year. Or maybe there were a lot more bikes on the road this year. Or more gravel on the road, etc.

I wonder if there will be backlash. Abe Lincoln said something to the effect of, "If you want a law revoked, enforce it strictly."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.