Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 32, and very big,6'1 315 lbs. Im looking for a good DS bike for riding to the woods , and all over the rugged backcountry. Any suggestions on what to buy? I have no preferance to newer or older bikes. Reliability is the most important thing to me,I go 20+ miles from main hiways regularly, and do not want to have to leave a broken down bike in the woods and walk out. Second it has to be able to still handle my weight. obviously a larger bike is probably my best bet. Any ideas would greatly help , ive ridden dirt bikes plenty, im no novice, a little power doesnt intimidate me. Thanks for any info.:confused:

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Suzuki DL1000. 100hp, big and roomy, brick reliability, and a gazzillion aftermarket upgrades. What more do you need?
Stop angling for a Sale! He's not gonna buy your bike..............

:D

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The Suzuki DR650, Honda XR650 work great and are cheap.
The Husky TE610, KTM makes a 690 that you can get DOT approved lighting for, and Husaberg is re-entering the US market with a FE650 Enduro you can convert like the KTM.

All in all- I would pick the Husky TE610. They are built like tanks.

If it's used go KTM or Suzuki.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
The Suzuki DR650, Honda XR650 work great and are cheap.
The Husky TE610, KTM makes a 690 that you can get DOT approved lighting for, and Husaberg is re-entering the US market with a FE650 Enduro you can convert like the KTM.

All in all- I would pick the Husky TE610. They are built like tanks.

If it's used go KTM or Suzuki.
He don't want no steekin 650! He needs 1000cc or more!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Get the big Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki dual sports, reliable as bricks, handle decent and parts are everywhere. Do not heed the siren song to buy a Husqavarna, or other esoteric uripeein dual sport. When the shine wears off you're stuck with something that needs a $600.00 piston, and has the resale value of an '81 Yugo.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Get the big Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki dual sports, reliable as bricks, handle decent and parts are everywhere. Do not heed the siren song to buy a Husqavarna, or other esoteric uripeein dual sport. When the shine wears off you're stuck with something that needs a $600.00 piston, and has the resale value of an '81 Yugo.
Brutal- Don't like KTM?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
When the shine wears off you're stuck with something that needs a $600.00 piston, and has the resale value of an '81 Yugo.
My cousin had one of those - when he went to trade it in, the Dealer offered him $600 NOT to.........

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
My younger brother is 6'3" weighs about 250 and rides a street legalized Honda XR650. Seems to fit him fine. I'm 6' even and I can barely get my heels on the ground when sitting on it. One of those should be fine, much as it pains me to recommend a Honda.

If you are doing actual for-real off road riding I would stick with the 2 air-cooled 650s... the Suzuki and the Honda. They are the lightest and least complex of the possibilities.

Remember - any bike that will get you there on the highway in comfort will really really suck off road.

·
Registered
540 Posts
We need some more info. I have a ton of DS bikes. Ken's recommendation of the DL1000 isn't bad if you're an experienced rider. But we need to know what kind of dirt you want to ride. Are you talking about knarly single track with whoops, logs, and sand? Are you talking about graded forest roads? Hare scrambles? You might find the 650 thumpers like the KLR, DR or XR will meet your needs with some suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a KTM 640 Adventure and a BMW G650 Xchallenge... Both would work but are a bit pricey... If you're really looking to tackle fire roads and some rougher stuff I think you'd be unhappy with the vstrom.

One of my favorites is a drz but thats only a 400... Like the previous poster said more info.

Honda XR650L is pretty cool too. You may want to check out Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum and look in the thumpers section... this has all been discussed ad nauseum over there.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
That pic there, REALLY illustrates the size-difference between the bikes. The Gixxer isn't exactly this huge-arse hulk of plastic and metal, either..........
Yea after that trip I'm thinking the ZX-14 would be the perfect Dual Sport. ;)

heh actually in all seriousness the aprilia 250 wasn't half bad, mainly the tires and now wanting to scrape it up especially with the low body work that held it back.

with the 2-stroke motor it instantly reminded me of dirt biking, standing up on the pegs wasn't quite as comfy though heh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.