Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '84 gpz550 that needs a new engine. Can anyone tell me what would fit? I've been told a ninja 650 will slip in perfect but i'd like to know my options. thanks for the help. She's my first bike and i don't want to let her go yet. Also, I'm pretty broke so a rebuild is out.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
No KZ550 engines in junkyards? The ninja650 engine is entirely different, different electrics,water cooling.... everything. I think that someone is pulling your leg.

You should check the motorcycle junkyards for a GPZ550 engine. Maybe a plain KZ550 engine from that era would fit if you can't find the GPZ engine.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Ditto, the only thing that will fit is another GPZ 550, maybe a KZ 550 they were basically the same bike

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Once again the GPZ600 engine is entirely different. The only engines that are going to work are direct replacements from other 550s from the same time period yours was built. If nothing else the drive sprockets from other engines are never going to line up and the electronics will never work in a million years. Your electronic connections from the engine must match the ones on the frame. Only another KZ550 engine will match.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.