Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for my first motorcycle and looking to spend anywhere from six to ten grand. I've been looking at the Honda VTX 1300, Kawasaki 900 vs 1600 Vulcan, Suzuki C90 or C50. Which one should I consider or should I be looking at other motorcycles.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
First off, for your first bike don't buy anything near new. If you must have a cruiser get an old 750 Shadow or 750 Vulcan something similar. Take the MSF course and get some experience. If you decide you really like motorcycling then sell the used bike (you won't lose much $ if any) and only then get what you will have learned you really want by then.

I'd rather recommend a Dual Purpose bike like the Kawasaki KX250 or a Suzuki DR400. DPs have excellent resale and are about the easiest bikes to learn on. Dirt riding is very good for relatively safe practice in learning the basics of riding.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
+1

Not much else to say, except make dam sure you take the Motorcycle Safety course as soon as possible. A lot of guys think the courses are "chickensh!t", and blow them off. Au contraire! Even experienced riders benefit from taking the course.

Good Luck! (Go 'Noles!)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
ditto above

If there is only ONE thing I can help a newbie with, then I want to help with two: as the poobah said, get training and buy CHEAP!

We are awash in good, cheap bikes. Above is also right - learning in the dirt is best but may not be a good alternative if you - like me - live deep in the bowels of a titanic metro area.

Get training FIRST, buy cheap & used second. Have a lot of FUN third. Buy new and fancy a distant forth.

Oops, more than two. I'll leave now and go sue myself. Looking forward to the settlement!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Why oh why does every newbie want to buy a giganto-cruiuser or a Hayabusa as a fist bike?

Get a used dual sport and experience the full range of motorcycling. They're light, maneuverable, and fun fun fun.

It's the bike that gets used most in my garage.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Why oh why does every newbie want to buy a giganto-cruiuser or a Hayabusa as a fist bike?

Get a used dual sport and experience the full range of motorcycling. They're light, maneuverable, and fun fun fun.

It's the bike that gets used most in my garage.
Or, a small or mid-size Nekkid Standard..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my first bike. A Hyosung Comet 250. GREAT bike. 30 BHP. Plenty of power for a new rider and looks fabulous. Try one of these first and then move on to the bigger bikes. Good luck and happy riding. Mike.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
..letsee, you are looking for your first motorcycle, and are considering something that displaces 1300 cee cees, or more....

I give up. Sure, why not? Maybe get something like a Boss Hoss then, or better yet, something with a zeppelin motor.

Most riders started out on a freeking mini-bike fer chrissakes...oh, whatever. Get what you want...freedom of choice, right?

Just stock up on the iodine & bandages. You might also want to look into some good health coverage that covers traumatic injuries.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
..letsee, you are looking for your first motorcycle, and are considering something that displaces 1300 cee cees, or more....

I give up. Sure, why not? Maybe get something like a Boss Hoss then, or better yet, something with a zeppelin motor.

Most riders started out on a freeking mini-bike fer chrissakes...oh, whatever. Get what you want...freedom of choice, right?

Just stock up on the iodine & bandages. You might also want to look into some good health coverage that covers traumatic injuries.
Hiya Matt! Haven't seen you around here lately, were you out and about?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Yeah, been real busy with work, I work for a software company, and sales has been writing checks with their mouths that we in development/support have to cash.

It's nuts, like, ok, I just bought your software, and now that I have it, I want everything changed, because your sales department said it was easy to do. Now I have to get on a conference call with an office full of Chinese folks fresh off the boat and exprain how the software works...help...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Yes and no....

Mr. Cuddy! How'd the ride go?! Was it a success?
The wind was blowing so freeking hard at El Mirage on Sunday, that it looked like something out of the Wizard of Oz. Lawnchairs, trash, dust, mini-bikes etc. all blowing by at 20 mph. Even dust devils that looked big enough to suck a motorhome into the atmosphere.

After being duct taped to the bicycle, I rode about 50 yards before scaring the beejezus out of myself, the wind was just too strong for a cripple on a motorized bicycle.

So we stopped by Murphy's on the way out for a couple pitchers and some grub, called it a day. I need a better seat on the Huffy, one like a bucket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.