Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right tool for the job is the phrase that comes to mind. I ride an '01 Mille and bought it not for the extra 10th of a second, but rather just because it felt good beneath me. I used to have a CBR 600, but compared to the Mille, it felt like a scooter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you. That was an entertaining, thought provoking read. (And for me, worth the wait.) Is an R6 (or any 600) all you need? Yes: if track, mountain twisties, or concentrated road work (riding one-up) is what you seek - and you fit on the bike. Touring, enjoying the view beyond the tarmac, riding with a more relaxed purpose or carrying more than your wallet require more options.

But the real crux of the biscuit here is logic versus emotion. Logically, a 600 (in the color you like) is all you need. Emotionally… the options spin off into the sunset, fueled by cues from personal experience and desire (and fanned by advertising grist.) Logic without emotion buys you a Civic. Emotion without logic buys you something Italian. Somewhere in between, Billy, is a bike for you!

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
If these bikes were women

The 600 is like the girl you dated/lived with in college. She is fun, forgiving, flirtatous, and she goes with you anywhere. You love being around her but you are arognant to think you can do better' Too bad you are young and stupid.

The R-1 is your trophy. You go out with her when you are going through the young upwarding mobile stage. This is the one use to impress people. In private she can be a ***** and she only does what she wants. Going camping is out of the question, she only wants to be on a track where she can show off her beauty and legs. You are desperate to marry this one so you ignore all times she scares the crap out of you.

The Millie is the girl you go out when you on your worldly kick. You are bored with the locals and she is the one with the foreign accent. She is like the 600 but you don't have the money or class to keep her but what a ride. The R-1 without the baggage.

Hey I am not going to make the same mistake twice, I am keeping my ZX-6R for awhile. She is fun, forgiving, flirtatous, and she goes with me anywhere. Great article mind me stop and think about why I ride. Good to see again BLM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Perfect timing on this article! I am keeping my friend's '02 GSX-R 750 in my garage (I ride an '01 ZX-6R) and I just can't understand how 600s (supersport) can beat these things (in supersport trim, not superbike) on a race track. It is so physically smaller than my bike, the motor rocks, and I think it weighs the same as mine! I'd like to see you guys hit the streets again with a GSX-R 600 and 750 and see what is up as I am super curious. Great article. Yes, I do love my 6R.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great article! It reminded me why I used some common sense and bought a R6 instead of a bigger bike. The overall package of the 600's for the money and performance is hard to beat. If anyone reading this is torn between what size bike to buy, then swallow

your ego and go for the 600. You won't regreat it. Great idea to birng Burns on the crew. A big reason why I subscribed.

Keep the great articles coming!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good article. Good to see ya'll back in the saddle again. By the by, if anyone who knows the answer reads this, what happened to my post on the mysterious disappearence article? It no longer shows up there.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
>>>But the real crux of the biscuit here is logic versus emotion. Logically, a 600 (in the color you like) is all you need. Emotionally… the options spin off into the sunset, fueled by cues from personal experience and desire (and fanned by advertising grist.) Logic without emotion buys you a Civic. Emotion without logic buys you something Italian. Somewhere in between, Billy, is a bike for you!<<<

I agree with this in a lot of ways. A LOT OF WAYS!

However, I also say that a good rider is going to go fast on anything. Including something that's a bit more laid back. To me, just take what the bike has and use it to it's potential. And these bike are capable of many things.

Whatever.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Burns where's the medallion? Anywho, all I can say is this, I'm lucky enough to have both a 2000 zx6r and a 2000 mille, (my first bike was a 1991 gn-125 so I've done my time) and since I got the Ninja first (and I do like it) I thought this was all the bike I would ever want or need but then I went crazy and got the Mille and it's the best thing I ever bought, period. Yes I hate to admit I bought it for looks and the fact that it was somewhat exclusive and Italian but what I got in return is the most fulfilling and smile inducing toy I've ever had. The ninja is fun but the mille is sex with a supermodel and it only gets better.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Wheelie thing again

You said: And then onto the poor, unempowered R6. What's the deal then? Why is the bike with no torque the one that wheelies every time out of that tight little first-gear right? Gearing? Weight? Dunno.

The wheel comes up when all the weight has transferred to the rear wheel. If you can move your body forward and down far enough you can put the front wheel on the ground and convert the wheelie to rear wheelspin, the same result you see with the big boys.

The answer is gearing times torque plus too high or too far back center of gravity = wheelie. You'll exit that corner faster with incipient wheelspin then with a wheelie.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Hey man, I will never criticize you on that. If someone does just say at least I am not as bad as Cook. :) I totally agree with you on the bargain or price/performance of the big 4 600s. Even Triumphs bike is a good value.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: If these bikes were women

LOL. To carry the girl analogy a bit further, my Suzuki TL1000S is a good time blonde who has a bit of a fat butt, but is serious fun in the sack.

I know plenty of other bikes are better, but I enoy the party girl. She is amazingly low maintenance too!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Guys, this is a great concept. I mean I enjoy watching the young studs wander into the bike shops and think that a GSXR-1000 or an R-1 will make them the fastest in creation. But it won't. I have a sick belief that anything over eighty horsepower is a waste for one up riding. In fact, anything over 65 might be a waste for a light bike. The horsepower difference can be made up in skill and handling. (Of course, I realize that somebody like Ben Bostrom or Fast Freddie can actually use all of that horsepower, but I don't think any of us are that good.)

So I have this strange idea. Use the same course at Willow, same tires, same riders. Keep a running chart of the lap times. Take some other bikes out there. I would suggest starting with the ever-popular SV650, mebbe the new Suzuki DL, add in a Ducati 900ss (maybe the 750 as well) and see how the lap times really compare. I mean this is a community service. It might convince some riders that they really don't need all of that HP. It might even prevent a few of us from an unneeded trip to the ER.

Vlad

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: If these bikes were women

I can relate to that analogy, my '01 1200s bandit is like the "mature" woman you hook up with ,after you become invisible to the sweet young hotties { age 40 or so, it seems} not quite as tight or fresh looking, but treat her just right, and she can rock your world all day long

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.