I guess I've been reading blip's work for too long,
but I thought some would find this humorous (taken from m-w.com):

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less

Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s

Function: adverb

Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless

Date: circa 1912

nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: Horrendously offtopic: Grammer and English

Heh, I wasn't the one on the ir·re·gard·less bandwagon, it started with Mark Hammond, who was a funny guy, but quite, well, determined in his ways.

It initially annoyed me, until I saw that it annoyed the English sticklers amongst us, then, I felt it would draw attention away from Minime's problem with "it's and its" -- at least Minime consistently gets them backwards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: Horrendously offtopic: Grammer and English

I don't know why I thought it was you... It was in an article a while back, and it was italicized, basically poking fun at the use of the word. From then on, I couldn't hear the word without associating it with MO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.