Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: We're scraping the bottom of the barrel now

Take it easy, I didn't lay into it like, oh, say, KPaul would. I think I described it as "suprising" that a question of this caliber would make the news. I don't believe I made fun of either the writer or MO in the process. Elitist? Practically everybody on this site makes fun of the squids and their wheelie-prone tendencies. Asking a question about what motorcycle wheelies the best implies that it will be the most important aspect of riding to the inquisitor. This is a strong squid characteristic. If you're going to jump all over my back for my relatively innocuous comment, you're doing it to almost everyone else here too.

·
Registered
415 Posts

So everybody who likes to pull a wheel up is a squid according to you and "almost everyone else here"?

"Practically everybody on this site makes fun of the squids and their wheelie-prone tendencies."?

Come on Abe. If you have an opinion, state it but don't pull "everyone else" into it just to justify your opinion. You state in your initial post that you, "along with Gabe" feel the way you do. AF, Gabe made his usual and always entertaining statement about the the way a disembodied head of a formerly fully functional squid would think. I read nothing in his post that said anything about MO. That's all you, Baby!

Your statement attacked MO for posting a question you felt wasn't worthy. Yes you were rather polite but it was still an attack. At least you provided a solution that will make you happy. I look forward to your question. Make sure you get it proofed before sending. You know there will be some a$$hole who thinks it's inapropriate for the news page and he may not be as kind as you.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Can't be closed, as this is the Internet, and we have to argue, disagree, spout off, champion our opinion, denigrate each other, proclaim our bike THE BEST, yours the WORST, you suck, they suck,...and...BLAME THE HARLEY GUYS(or the Squids)!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
You've obviously never ridden a CR500

Just hit the throttle in any of the first four gears. For fifth gear wheelies use the Buell method. I'm not saying the wheelieing (?) ability of the CR500 is a good thing, it's just really easy, usually too easy. It totally baffles me how Honda went so many years without a sport ATV for liability reasons and at the same time produced the ultimate death machine.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts

I think it's all a plot by Osama bin Laden to dilute the patriotism of motorcyclists and taint our precious bodily fluids.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ok, aside from the VFR, SV and Concours the easiest bike to wheelie BY FAR of all the bikes I've tested during my stint at MO has to be the un-corked Aprilia Tuono-R that I spent a couple days on last October. That thing was a RIOT! The only thing close so far was the standard Tuono that I spent two weeks with in April.

Someone else mentioned the Honda CR-500 and though it is very easy to wheelie, it isn't really a street bike, and when geared for road use, it becomes significantly less wheelie prone than it is with the stock 14/49 gearing.

Without reservation I have to say Aprilia Tuono is my favorite wheelie bike. (pretty much my favorite bike period)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depends on the speed, eh? My 99 R1 had snappy throttle response and was a cinch to wheelie in first gear. You could just lift the front anytime you wanted. However it was a little abrupt and if you weren't paying attention you'd be jogging behind it trying to figure out a way back on it the blink of an eye (GSXR1000 is the same, but worse). My Honda GT650 Hawk was probably the easiest and most controlled bike to wheelie in first gear though the Honda XR650L comes very close. [I have yet to swing a leg over the Tuono.] At freeway speeds (70-80 mph) the GSXR1000 is King. No bouncing or clutching, just downshift to 2nd and roll into a nice, predictable wheelie. The R1 and Busa require a good deal of coaxing. My nitrous 900RR was a wheelie monster through 3rd at about 100mph or so. But again, it would come up fast enough to clench the posterior of even the most robust riders.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.