Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Parnelli Jones, Gordon John*****, Jim Clark, Emerson Fittapaldi, Al & Bobby Unser, Graham Hill, Johnny Rutherford and Mark Donohue. All names associated with the best of the great American race when fans used to flock to the stands and radios. Now, it plays second fiddle to the bastard sons of shine-runners - the Coca-Cola 600. And they give out Japanese bikes as awards. Yeah, I know. Honda. Marysville and all that. Well kiss my nutz. No wonder Indy can't get a date.

I used to listen to every lap on the radio then watch the replay on TV. After the big split of CART and IRL I just gave up. I tried to watch the race this year, and was even interested until the rain came. Danika is easy on the eyes and she was in podium form but finished 8th of something. Then, I tried to get interested in the 600. After watching the sprightly Indy cars, the thundering turds of NASCAR just looked ridiculous. And there wasn't an empty seat in the house. TVs across the nation were tuned in. At least the GP of Monaco was fun to watch and there was some honest-to-god technology on display.

I'd love to care about the once-great 500 again, just as I'd like to give a rat’s ass about tennis once more. Oh well. And the leaves that are green turn to brown.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
But.. but... the Ruin has Honda's most modern technology... liquid cooling, a 5 speed transmission and shaft drive! Impressive!

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Yeah, the CART and IRL split pretty much set the whole damn thing on fire and sunk it real quick.

As a kid I used to watch the Indy 500 every year. I would look forward to it. I'd enjoy watching the racers try to qualify the weekend before.

It just kind of sucks.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since they haven't made a new one of those in more than 2 years, I wonder where they found a new one to give this guy? Like just about any Honda dealer? LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your point is well taken about the demise of American open wheel racing. So you don't think a Honda is appropriate, maybe the new Ford GT or a 'Vette would be more to your liking. However, the current culture would opt for a gold plated FXSTLRYUT or whatever. What would that prove?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I saw some old guy riding one when I was at Salt Lake Honda a few weeks ago. It looked even dumber in motion (if you can believe that) than it did sitting on the showroom floor gathering dust for two years. It's like something from Timothy Leary's subconscious. It would be very fitting if the rider looked like the caterpillar from "Alice in Wonderland."

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Rain Tires

Am I wrong, or didn't the Indy cars used to change tires and run in the rain? I got home from a ride and tuned in to watch the last part of the race, only to find it cancelled because of weather. Which was ok, because I switched over to Speed and saw a great GT race with Pontiacs, Porsches, Corvettes, and even a Mustang! Very competitive, lots of excitment. That's a great series when there's no bike races to watch.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
You have a point, but the average chopper is something out of a Picasso painting while the Ruin is more like something from the fevered imagination of HR Giger. You'd expect it to extend a sticky tongue to lap up any small children that pass by.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
CART vs IRL

Have to agree with the BAR... No way should the U.S. have two open wheel racing series. Also timing is a problem NASCAR should not schedule a race on the same day so folks like Stewart can race at Indy too.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
And now the fad is "Bobbers." Which look almost like real motorcycles. Eventually they'll "customize" to the point of producing ridable, reliable motorcycles! (aka production) I never thought the motorcycle industry would turn into a bunch of fashion whores and phony "celebrities." Oh well, eventually this surge in ownership will end like the last ones and the hoopla will die down. Unless the gas prices keep it alive...could be an interesting card in the deck with $4 gas.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts