Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im looking for bike's with the following.

-Cruiser
-excells around twistys
-between 1200 and 1600cc

any ideas? if u know of more then one whats the best in your opinion?

which out of the performance/Hot rod cruisers would u go with?

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
im looking for bike's with the following.

-Cruiser
-excells around twistys
-between 1200 and 1600cc

any ideas? if u know of more then one whats the best in your opinion?

which out of the performance/Hot rod cruisers would u go with?
There are no cruisers that "excel" in turns. There are some cruisers better at it than others. But none would be defined as "excels". The Yamaha Warrior and Harley Street Rod are supposed to handle turns quite well for a cruiser.

You can go here for a review of both bikes along with the MeanStreak and the Old V-Max:
http://origin-www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2007-power-cruisers-shootout-13559.html

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Triumph Bonneville America. Uncork it with the off-road pipe and it will easily humiliate any of the big V-twin pork-beasts.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Street Rod. I rode one when they first came out. What a waste that nobody bought them. I think my local HD dealer still has a new one on the floor.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Harley 1200 Roadster or Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster would be my pick. An HD Street Rod would work also but on the spendy side.

if you expand your search away from cruisers then there's tons of good bikes like the Yamaha FZ6 or FZ1, Suzuki Bandit, BMW R1200, Triumph T100 Bonneville, Buell XB9, Kawaskai Z1000..lots of great bikes...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Roadkill, how long have you been riding? From your posts I suspect you are quite new. If that's the case, none of the bikes that meet your criteria are good choices.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Honda- VTX1300 for the new and Magna V65 for the old
Kawasaki- Meanstreak for the new and ZL1000 for the old
Moto Guzzi- Griso for the new and California for old
Suzuki- M90 for the new and Intruder 1400 for the old
Yamaha- Warrior for the new and V-Max for the old

BTW- in the cruiser world rwhp means very little. torque is the name of the game. your ability to "handle" is compromised the frame characteristics. the v-rod handles pretty well. the bikes listed have decent handling, but overall you are giving up "feel" for "comfort".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
excellent responses. I see we have some experienced people on this forum. I just rebuilt my first bike, a 1988 suzuki 750 cruiser. Only reason I ask is to get a better idea for what im saving up for.

Its a hard choice. The harley street rod looks really nice. The vtx 1300C needs a ton of upgrades before its any good. As for the yamaha warrior and kawasaki mean streek... I try to like them, I want to say that I like them... but I just cant come to. haha. The other one thats coming out is the suzuki m90. This would seem like the perfect bike, until I read it weighs 720 ****ing pounds. I dont want anything that big.

Im starting to think a used vmax is what I should get. any knowledge on them? reviews, opinion?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Early model Max's have smaller forks than the ones made from around
'93 and up. You'll need a fork brace on either so start there. Brakes could use an upgrade and for the most part it depends on how far your willing to go. Braided lines are a must. Try to find one with the stock pipes. They hold their value better (you can still change the exhaust- just don't sell the original). Check the 2nd gear shift dog on the test ride. The rods will bend on a bad shift and you have to crack the case to fix it. If you want to be different and just go big power- swap to downdraft carbs and a V&H exhaust. You loose the v-boost feeling, but you'll gain insane low-end power.
There's your start.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
A V-Max is a motorcycle that handles, stops and rides like it's 1985. I owned one for 2 years, and to sum it up, it has average brakes, soggy suspension, a flexy flier chassis, gets horrible gas mileage, a small gas tank for no range, has terrible handling fast or slow, and a terrific motor. It's a fun bike for ripping around town, but that's where it begins and ends, and if you rip around enough and open that V-Boost often, you get all of 25 mpg to boot. It makes a nice second or third bike, but I'd look elsewhere for what you want.

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
All of these Cruisers mentioned turn quite well and handle curves great "for a cruiser" with the exeption of the sporster, vrod? Imo.

But one not mentioned I think rails corners is the Mighty M109R. Service manager owned one at my shop and regularly drags his footpeg bracket mount bolt, and aftermarket exhaust on the right.

The bike is balanced much better than most think, you'll have to test ride one for the proof, dont deny yourself the pleasure if you get the chance cause the 240rear wont hinder the curves a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
Early model Max's have smaller forks than the ones made from around
'93 and up. You'll need a fork brace on either so start there. Brakes could use an upgrade and for the most part it depends on how far your willing to go. Braided lines are a must. Try to find one with the stock pipes. They hold their value better (you can still change the exhaust- just don't sell the original). Check the 2nd gear shift dog on the test ride. The rods will bend on a bad shift and you have to crack the case to fix it. If you want to be different and just go big power- swap to downdraft carbs and a V&H exhaust. You loose the v-boost feeling, but you'll gain insane low-end power.
There's your start.
Or if you have 18k burning a hole in your pocket avoid the add ons and get the new one(VMAX), that thing is awsome!!!

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
The Sportster Sport and the Roadster version are pretty good handling bikes for their size as is the Street Rod, I wouldn't count them out.

·
Registered
901 Posts
A V-Rod has a dry weight (according to H-D) of 637 lbs. If you're actually considering that bike, you should also check out the Victory Hammer S, which is a very well-balanced bike. Take some test rides. And if you can test ride a Yamaha Warrior you just might change your mind about that bike, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts