Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
None of them.

Park two Triumph Bonnevilles or Thruxtons next to each other instead. Not only are the valves easy to adjust, but you can change out the jetting on the side of the road for both carbs in under ten minutes.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
BMW laydown fours are easy to get too, if you don't include the air filter. They aren't too hard to work on as long as you realize that German engineers pick the path of greatest resistance when designing anything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have both a Nighthawk 750 (1992) and a Bandit 1200 (plus an old GSXR 1100, which has the same engine). The Nighthawk is basically NO maintenance (change oil/filter, clean air filter, lube chain), The Bandit is easy to maintain, especially if you remove the EPA mandated tubing etc. It does have an easy system for valve adjustment (locknut), no shims, as others have said.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
One of the easiest bikes I've owned for maintenance is, hands down, my old GSX1100G. The engine is easily accessible. You can even get the carbs off easily because Suzuki left space for the airbox to pull back thus pulling the boots completely free.

The worst, hands down, was not an I-4 but the ' '84 Honda Magna V-4. What a freaking nightmare! You have to remove the engine to replace the rear head pipes. You have to remove the rear wheel and rear fender to replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I owned a Concours. I can only assume this poster was being tounge in cheek. To even do the oil filter you have to remove the belly pan (I am excluding modification to body panels). There are two oil drain bolts and the filter is internal and includes numerous O-rings to replace and the whole housing/assemby should be cleaned with brake cleaner or the like.

Somebody mentioned the Nighthawk 750. I owned that too- now there is a good example. Any naked bike should do. Spin-on filter helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.