Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the new Aprilia in person this past weekend. All I can say is that it looks like jewlery. The twin exhaust and the fit and finish make for some class A eye candy. The service guy told me that it breaks traction in a corner with a simple twist of the trottle. So if you are into power slides this may make it to the top of your list.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Husqvarna & KTM

The Husky 610 is a fun and practical supermoto. It has much longer service intervals than the 450 or 510.

I have a KTM 950SM. It is by far the most fun and easiest to ride motorcycle I have ever owned. So fast on twisty roads. It even holds it's own on a twisty roadrace track. It is NOT a bike for off-road.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The new Aprilia V-twin Supermoto/Dual-Sport bikes are indeed very nice. The local Aprilia dealer said they have been selling very well with no problems reported. The engine should have much less vibration (for street riding) than a single cylinder bike and is a beauty to look at.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Ape over Aparilla...?

Yeah, read the test in CW, they said the 550 puts out "open class two stroke like power".

Are they OK'd for CARB, the ARB & EPA for street use yet?

If they sell 'em for aound 7-8 grand I'll buy one...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Yeah, read the test in CW, they said the 550 puts out "open class two stroke like power".

Are they OK'd for CARB, the ARB & EPA for street use yet?

If they sell 'em for aound 7-8 grand I'll buy one...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

First off I'll have to see it to believe it. Second, It'll have to be real impressive to ovecome the ridiculous costs of keeping a 4 stroke MXer running.. considering the frequency of the top end jobs.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Reading the CW test they mentioned the difference of the enduro version vs. the stooper murtard due to small changes in the engine on the enduro (RXV). Maybe looking for livability on the 'duro.?

Still, I agree with you about new disposable racing 4 stroke durt bykes. If a top end costs around $400.00 anymore for the mighty CR (done myself) I can't imagine what it'll cost on say a CRF450R. Morgage the house...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stop Pushing the Aprlia's

I looked at getting the Aprilia Supermoto and the dealer asked my intent for it (commuting and backroads) said the bike was not for me. Basically the motor is made for racing and it needs too much maintance and the time between tear downs is short (70hp from a 550cc bike, what do you expect). I love it as much as the next person but its not for you.

-Matt

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Stop Pushing the Aprlia's

Was it the RXV or SXV?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Re: Stop Pushing the Aprlia's

70hp from a 550cc bike isn't all that outrageous anymore. Polaris is even using a KTM 510cc single with 65hp in an ATV now. If a 600cc CBGXRYZR can make 200hp/liter and be bullet proof, 70hp from a 550cc really doesn't seem unreliable; even for a twin.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The new KTM Duke III with the new 690 single or the Husky SM610. I work at a shop that sells the Husky- 1) the 510 motor is fine but does not operate with a fan - so if you're in stop and go traffic then stay away. 2) The 450 is basically the race motor and service is extensive and in 8 hr intervals. So, from a truely practial sense, go for the SM610 Husky. I've been riding one all weekend and I must say that outside of a rather stiff seat it toted my 240lbs round in an effortless manner. I was easily able to keep up with much faster machines in the N. GA hills all day on Sunday. I've never played on a SM bike before this weekend and now I've got the "wants" bad. It's slightly slower because it's down on power from the 510 machine but since I run through metro traffic often I'll trade a little power drop off for reliability any day of the week.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm going through the same thing. I just test rode a couple of Buells today (They're Supermoto'ish...). It'll be a KTM for me. Haven't decided yet on the 950 or new 690. I had a 2001 KTM LC4 640 SM. It was a hoot. Hard seat and a lot of vibration, though. And not as much power as I'd wished. But it was a blast! Depends on cost and performance numbers between the two.

·
Registered
170 Posts
any recent but not new 4-stroke. I have a Yam WR400. the 426 is good and cheap. the DRZ 400 motor is good too. You need to be on thumpertalk.com where you can probably score a bike that's already set up for about $4-5K. Not as elegant but an XR400 is a solid motor as well.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts

"Dirt Bike" recently did an article about the relative maintenance costs of 2 and 4 stroke race bikes, based on extended (realistic) service intervals and Honda recommendations.

Conservative estmates were that a 250 4 stroke was about twice as expensive to campaign as a 125 2 stroke. This does not take into account long-term (> 2 years) durability.

My local dealer has a wall covered with trashed 4 stroke heads. Each one represents a rebuild of $2000 in parts alone.

I understand that this "racebike" durability is one of the reasons a streetbike hasn't been built with the Aprilia engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.