Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sounds to me like BMW was just awarded a new contract. They're probably cheaper to maintain, even though there's less room for the HIGH! VISIBILITY! GRAPHICS! the police there enjoy.

--The Fox

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was more making a statement as to the cost of correcting all the ST1300s currently in service vs. dealing with the BMW's assorted problems.

Poorly written joke; my bad.

--The Fox

·
Registered
409 Posts
The old KZ1000 cop bike had a similar problem many, many moons ago. Only thing that stopped those from being used is when Kawi quit building them...same thing happened when GL1200 Or 1100, forget which, were being used as police bikes. Some bikes are simply not up to the task, which is not saying they are not great bikes! Problems come when they police crap is added and not tested in that configuration by the OEM! Why do you all think there are so many Copy Harleys around the world? HD makes the whole thing, no after market add ons needed! Eliminates a lot of problems...something for the other OEMs to think about...now if BMW just made a cop bike you didn't have to break in half to change the clutch...

·
Registered
312 Posts
i admit i'm no suspension guru but it seems like a problem that could be fixed with a stiffer spring, and some ride height. why not just do that. what's the difference between a high speed weave and head shake? i don't know that i understand this weave issue.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
When I read the article, that's pretty-much what ran through my head: Why is the bike so under-sprung? Is it a physical-limitation thing? (space for shock/spring capable of controlling the extra weight)

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
And Cops wear clutches - fact of life.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Considering that the reason the ST developed the 'weave' they think is its "fitted with heavy emergency and communications equipment. The extra kit altered the centre of gravity of the machines," you need a bigger bike to be able to handle all that. The ST seems like a totally reasonable choice at first thought.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Honda could just steal the design for the variable rate steering damper off the new GSXR and tack weld it on there

Just a thought, I doubt they'll be going to Harley Polic bikes and the Beemers are through the roof with maintenance costs.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Great idea I agree.. Communication equipment is much smaller and lighter these days.. Perhaps the size thing is will be continually used as intimidation thing like horses for crowd control. Hope not.. But a VFR seems like a great bike..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
You would think Honda would rectify this problem quickly.. for PR reasons. Don't think Mr. Honda would have let go this far..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can't help but think the adventure bikes would be set up perfectly for policework. Sitting up high gives a commanding view of traffic, they handle well, and if the suspect decides to run via a dirt or gravel road, they'd do ALOT better than a sport touring machine.

The Buell Ulysses in particular I think would be well suited - hydraulic valves, belt drive, cheap parts...

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Does Honda not already have one of those? The HESD on the CBR1000RR/600RR comes to mind.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
How is a clutch-change on one of those? (real question)

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I believe so, the GSXR one just popped in my head because I was reading a road test of the new '07 in BIKE.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.