Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Bike magazine as well as all the other British bike mags have tested both versions of the new 1250 Bandit and come away pretty impressed with the brakes, both ABS and non ABS. Triumph's Sprint is also available with ABS and gets good reviews.

My own experiance with BMW's linked, power assisted ABS was that it stunk worse than beached decaying whale on a very hot day, right after it's stomach gases built up enough pressure to overcome the tensil strength of it's mortified flesh.....

Don't know about Hondas, though I'm sure it's overcomplicated, heavy and doesn't work any better than their regular brakes.

Do yourself a favor and get a Bandit or Sprint with ABS

·
Registered
22 Posts
None of them. Don't get ABS it will make you high side or go over the handlebars. Don't get a bike with a front brake,either. but you'll probably have to get a custom chopper because most of the big manufacturers don't know that a front brake (or ABS for that matter) is dangerous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What kind of bike?

I suppose the kind of bike you want matters a little.

I'm on an '06 FJR 1300A. I've hit the brakes hard a couple times, and the bike just stops. Also, though you can feel the ABS, it's not vibration hell (like it is in some cages).

Good stopping power, even with 2-up riding.

I've heard mixed things from BMW ABS online, but 2 of my older (39 and 45) riding buddies are on Beemers and they aren't disappointed (in the ABS or in general).

Isn't ABS standard these days. You should be thinking about a goldwing with Airbags! :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reviews on the new Bandit are still sketchy. On Maximum-Suzuki a few people have gotten the new bike and not found the system to be overly intrusive, but how much better it is also remains to be seen. The reviews of the bike in the Brit mags mostly state that they don't mind it, but how well the system works isn't really mentioned. I'm probably going to get it (I'm in the market for the new Bandit 12.5 myself) figuring it can't hurt and might help (balanced off against the cost of a visit to an ER the $500 price tag seems cheap at the price).

·
Registered
458 Posts
What you need to watch out for...

You need to watch out for getting your testicles smashed against the tank when you want to brake at full-maximum....

I did a demo on a GS, on a wet road, I decided to do a 35 MPH ABS test... Owch, the family jewels weren't happy with just how much traction the ABS system found to stop the bike.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I love my BMW but I used to be a F&I mgr at a Triumph shop and find the ABS on the Sprint to be excellent.

·
Registered
207 Posts
grëëtz vøn swëdën

sört øv ön töpic, heer iss ä vid wïch demünstrætes the hônda åbs sÿstem äs kümpæred with nön-åbs hønda bräkes.

-jørg jørggenssön

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Re: What you need to watch out for...

Oh, I don't know... you get a nice breeze up your pant legs when it's hot out.......keeps the ol' goolies cool

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.