Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
We're conditioned heavily to adopt and us-versus-them mentality. Team sports, nationalism, brand loyalty, mods vs. rockers, etc. Some people fully internalize this mentality and they extend it to include motorcycles as well. It's difficult to totally erase-- we all enjoy team sports from time to time or enjoy a special satisfaction when we see 'our' brand of bike win a race, even if most of the time as true fans we're just happy to see great competition, and recognize that the teams and brands are less important sometimes than the athletes that switch between them every couple of years.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Plus One. In San Francisco, no one waves. Only outside the city, and only on weekends. When I first moved here, I asked a friend why. "Too busy staying alive," he said.

One can't always wave. Sometimes you need your two hands for riding, you know? That said, waving can be a good check. If you're riding too fast to wave, you're probably riding too fast for the street.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bro. A couple years ago I went mountain biking with a friend and took my old Schwinn Sierra. It is 21 years old, but handles well and I'm good on it. I couldn't believe it when people on the trail actually RIDICULED me for riding it. I would have thought they'd congratulate me on going old skool or keeping my bike so tight after so many years (decades) of abuse. But they actually ridiculed me. I really can't even believe it happened, even today. Fortunately, my mountain biking self esteem is rooted in fitness, a lifetime of riding, and the ability to wheelie that thing all the way up the mountain, not in what some newcomer poser jerks think. Anyway, it was an exceptionally illuminating moment in mountain biking.

Come to think of it, same thing happens to me in rock climbing. People ridicule my harness, or my "neon" gear (some from the 80s) and I'm just tripping.

I remember seeing rare, cool bikes like a real XR750 flattracker or an ATK supermoto up at Alice's. I wonder how many people went up to those bikes and ridiculed them for being old, or American, or whatever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts