Motorcycle Forums banner
261 - 280 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, and sport bikers doing wheelies on a freeway make my day complete.

I think most of the problems you've described are HD riders. Although, it seems that everyone who has ever owned a vulcan 500 seems to think putting un baffled dunstall pipes on it will a) make it cooler and b) make it sound like a harley. Then they realize that bigloud pipes are actually annoying and feel dumb.

As far as waving, metric cruiser riders aren't your problem. Or rather, shouldn't be. If they are they have a lot of identity issues. Most (and I mean about 99%) metrics will wave because its a little hypocritical to call other bikes jap crap. I always wave to everyone, but I find I wave first to sports. Probably because they assume Im a cruiser riding jerkwad and won't wave. I suppose I deserve that.

And I will have you know that my 500 is ACTUALLY hand me down parts from an EX500. Nyah nyah. YOUR R+D made MY bike. Well. That and an engine that hasn't changed in 20 years. Shh. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Plus One. In San Francisco, no one waves. Only outside the city, and only on weekends. When I first moved here, I asked a friend why. "Too busy staying alive," he said.

One can't always wave. Sometimes you need your two hands for riding, you know? That said, waving can be a good check. If you're riding too fast to wave, you're probably riding too fast for the street.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bro. A couple years ago I went mountain biking with a friend and took my old Schwinn Sierra. It is 21 years old, but handles well and I'm good on it. I couldn't believe it when people on the trail actually RIDICULED me for riding it. I would have thought they'd congratulate me on going old skool or keeping my bike so tight after so many years (decades) of abuse. But they actually ridiculed me. I really can't even believe it happened, even today. Fortunately, my mountain biking self esteem is rooted in fitness, a lifetime of riding, and the ability to wheelie that thing all the way up the mountain, not in what some newcomer poser jerks think. Anyway, it was an exceptionally illuminating moment in mountain biking.

Come to think of it, same thing happens to me in rock climbing. People ridicule my harness, or my "neon" gear (some from the 80s) and I'm just tripping.

I remember seeing rare, cool bikes like a real XR750 flattracker or an ATK supermoto up at Alice's. I wonder how many people went up to those bikes and ridiculed them for being old, or American, or whatever.

·
Registered
473 Posts
biggest snobs BY FAR are bmw riders. i own one (k1200lt) but want nothing to do with brand snobs. they suck.

harley riders may not wave on the road but they are friendly enuf off the bike. beemer pilots are the only ones that behave like a$$holes even when off the bike.

that's been my experience, anyway ...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: When kpaul started he didn't know there was feud.

I have avoided even reading any post by kpaul/ksquid/kduma$$ for about 3 years now but being refered to the "two posts up" I started reading this post.

Now I remember why I swore of this idiots tripe. I don't care what JB says about him.

This has nothing to do with politics, bike brand or whether or not one waves. I just don't like the baiting! Its just so f'n old.

Derrick

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Re: When kpaul started he didn't know there was feud.

" I just don't like the baiting!"

kpaul's a master baiter.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You can't generalize. People who are assholes are assholes, and people who are not are not, regardless of the brand of bike they ride. I have seen plenty of examples of each, on Harleys, sport bikes and cruisers.

The only universally cool motorcyle people I meet are on the remote mountain trail on my dirt bike. I am not talking pit squids who never venture more than 1 mile from the truck, I am talking guys who are out there in the wilderness, riding and enjoying their dirt bikes. 100% coolness ratio to date, never been disappointed yet :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree. I like all motorcycles. I have always had japanese bikes, but I rode harleys a lot between my second and third motorcycles as they were the only ones I could rent in my area. I really enjoyed riding them - except that I was always cramped (I am 6'4" and you can't modify a rental bike). The newer ones are cool and well made, the older ones are very cool.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would want a sport bike. They don't seem very comfortable or practical. I ride a Suzuki V-strom. But I enjoy riding with my friends with sport bikes and my friends with harleys. Although I have been dissapointed by both groups of friends recently.

One harley riding friend said he can't take his harley on a four hour trip to some twisty roads (deals gap) because he has lowered it so far it does not corner well. A sport bike friend says he can't go because he has no luggage space and it hurts to ride his bike more than an hour or two.

So it would be accurate to say I have a bias towards comfortable, practical motorcycles but no bias towards motorcycle riders. I wave at all motorcycles I pass on the road and would stop to help someone riding any kind of motorcycle. I also don't take other's brand loyalty personally.

I have to admit, however, I snub mopeds and small scooters. Not only don't I wave, I don't return their wave. Where I live, most people who ride a small scooter or moped do so because they got two or three DWI's and lost their license.

My guess is that you can parse any group into smaller groups. There will always be someone who says someone else does not belong.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Helmet law advocates are worse than child molesters who use dino instead of synthetic.

Just wanna see if we can hit 300 posts.

261 - 280 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.