Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Last month, I was looking for dirt on my DR-Z. I pulled over to consult a map, and the biggest, baddest biker-dude on a Hog I'd seen in a long time pulled over to ask if I needed help. How cool is that?

Would it have happened if I was on ksquid's Ninja?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to ride with a group of friends we had Ducatis, BMW's, Guzzis, Yamahas,Hondas once in a while a Harley. Everyone just rode what they liked and we had a good time riding each others bikes because they where so different from each other.

Now I ride a 98 Triumph Sprint, KLR650, And I have a 77 Guzzi leMans project, and a CB350 I want to make into a cafe racer. You miss out on a lot of fun when you are so narrowly focused.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as waving goes, here in Florida there are so many bikes on the road. You just can't wave all the time. Or You may be in situations were you need both hands to ride. I find most everyone here is pretty friendly and would help a brother biker no matter what they are riding.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've posted this before:

I take a short ride to the mountains on my V-Rod Nightrod. Most bikers wave back, if I wave FIRST.

Harley riders? some wave, some don't... (a V-Rod ain't no real Harley, ya know?)

I take the same road, the same driver, most times the same get up (clothing).

Very few Harley riders wave. They're way too cool to do that. It breaks their concentration on who's looking at them.

I do believe that riders who take 'brands' into account and use that as a prerequisite for "the wave" aren't bikers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have to concur with Priday. I think the readership here is a pretty tolerant bunch and most of the name calling you are seeing is in the name of sarcasm/trolling and not actually animosity.

·
Registered
179 Posts
edit...

the second ride is usually on a Duc 999. not your average sport bike, and sometimes admired by Harley riders.

in general it's still considered a "Rice Rocket" until I say it runs on Pasta.. it's Italian made!

The Harley rider seems confused after that... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in FL, too, and try to wave as much as possible whatever the other rider's "orientation." I've noticed a contingent of squids and Harley riders won't wave if your ride doesn't align with their preference. I just switched from a V-Max to an FJR: now I get more waves from the sportbike crowd and fewer from the cruisers, especially the Harleys (some of whom will actually turn their heads away from the wave to express disdain). For those who don't wave, riding is a form of identification: they are about belonging to a specific group rather than being part of the larger community of riders.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Actually my favorite faddists were the two guys I saw in Century City a few years back on a pair of Duck916s, matching designer Duck leathers and chicken strips so wide it was obvious that they used the Ducks for cruising.

Who is a worse poser than someone on a race replica who doesn't go to the track? At least the guys on cruisers are actually doing what they appear to be doing... cruising. Unlike so many squids who wobble up to Newcomb's Ranch or the Rock Store for their latte' and then wobble back. Double posers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My "crew" consists of four Harley Dyna riders and myself on a FZ1. I'm constantly poking fun at them for their inability to stop or go. These are friends and I would not presume to tell a stranger what he should or should not buy/ride.

Buying a vehicle, regardless of type, because of the name pisses me off. I'm sold that they would be much happier spending 40% less and getting better power, handling, and looks(imho). My opinion is that Harley Davidson is crap for the money. Priced at 11-13k I'd probably own one myself. At that price you would be getting a decent bike for your money.

If I sh*t on a bun and tell you eating it gets you "in the club" would you eat it? No. But if I marketed the sh*t sandwich on TV, magazines, and word of mouth I'm convinced Harley riders would eat them by the dozen.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
There are Riders and there are Posers, they ride Sportbikes and Cruisers. Some Posers ride and some Riders pose. I don't care what the Posers think about Bikes/Riding, they seem to be concerned about everything but actually riding a Motorcycle.

In my experience most of the "Vibe" to which you refer is forwarded by Posers which takes me back to not valuing their opinions about Motorcycles. Many of "them" don't actually own or Ride a Motorcycle...

We all run into ignorance and small mindedness (all guilty of it on occasion?) on our journey. When I can't get my "water off a ducks back" thing going I'll just turn around and walk away, if that pisses them off... mission accomplished.

My usual "Bikenight" destination is almost 10 to 1 Cruisers (80% Harley's) v Anything else most nights. Fact is, if you're gonna ride a Cruiser, Florida is not a bad place to do so. Some good-natured banter between Riders but all good to me.

To me Most Riders have respect for Riders regardless of what they happen to be riding that day.

I wave to all. If they don't wave back I figure they didn't notice me or they are too new to Riding to be able to comfortably remove a hand from the bars for a few seconds with no traffic around... works either way.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've had that experience as well. It's great to have someone regale you with, "Why are you riding that Jap rice rocket?" and be able to come back with, "Actually, it's Italian, so it would be a risotto rocket at best." They always seem confused and then you realize he's not a rider, but a biker or harley guy.

--The Fox

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
What's really cool is to see an aquaintance who buys a bike for all the wrong reasons (fad, ego, whatever) evolve into somebody who "gets it." Several of my friends got caught up in the HD frenzy a few years ago. Most of them wound up selling for a big loss or garaging the bike most of the time, but a few turned into "Motorcyclists!" They're on their second or third bike, they're taking long rides, they're riding to work. It doesn't matter how they got there, they arrived.

21 - 40 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.