Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a windscreen made by "Rifle" on my M109 Suzuki. The mountings are all high quality polished billet. The screen is adjustable for angle and height. They make several models. Check their website at www.Rifle.com. I'm six feet tall. If I raised mine to full height, I'd need to look through it rather than over it. It was expensive at 335.00, but I think I could ride through a tornado and that screen would do better than I would. Good luck, Alan.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm interested in exactly the same thing for my '06 FXD35. It's supremely comfortable up the the legal limit (100kph in Australia) but sustained touring above that speed is a strain.

I don't really like the look of faired bikes and the detachable screen from HD looks like a good compromisse. I'm 6' tall and would prefer to look over the screen rather than through it.

My Sportster Sport ('96) had lower, narrower bars and the forward lean made high speeds a lot more tolerable. My old Kawasaki K750Z ('81) had adjustable "Laverda" bars - like mild clip ons - and was terrific at whatever speed it would manage.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The old 'Convertible' screen that went on the Evo FXRS was good. I had one on a Sportster - the narrow glide front end is the same - and it provided such a huge pocket of still air that when I was riding through hard rain the only bits of me that got wet were my lower legs and feet (forward controls mean they were stuck out in the breeze a bit). I'm 6'4" and although I could see over the top (just), the airflow went right over the top of my head, so that I could ride with the visor of my helmet open. The clamps for this one are a bolt-on affair, with the screen itself attached by four socket-headed screws which are quite tricky to get to unless you make yourself a shorter allen wrench... but it might be what you're looking for.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I used the Harley OEM detachable Sport windshield on my '05 FXD and it worked pretty good. Still got some turbulance and noise but not too bad and it kept the wind and rain off my torso.

I've also used Slipstreamers on different Japanese bikes and they work very well. Not overly stylish but they can't be beat IMO for keeping warm and dry in nasty weather.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
H-D makes a "touring" windshield for your Dyna. It's more of a coke bottle shape rather than a flat cut like most windwhields.

I used it for 5 years on my Low Rider and found it was a lot less turbulent than the standard shields. It ain't pretty but then I didn't think any windshield was pretty.

I used the detachable hardware and never had a problem with it over 35,000 miles.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"I used the detachable hardware and never had a problem with it over 35,000 miles. "

Liar! No Harley rider rides that far. You must have had it up on the lift with the engine running.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I've had a Memphis Fats screen on my Low Rider for many years. They have a wide and narrow style to choose from, as well as "gradient" colors at the bottom, if you like. I have the narrow version, but it provides good protection. The mounting is clean; you bolt up four aluminum mounting points on the upper forks. The windscreen can then be attached and removed with four allen bolts using a provided tool. The tool is a long Allen wrench with a "T" handle and plastic grip. You have some room with the mounts to adjust the height of the windscreen somewhat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
02 883R sportster: removable, PRICEY windshield. does a good job blocking the wind but not quite aerodynamic :)

06 VRod Nightrod. a nightmare of an installation.

the bars that hold the windshield and attach to the handlebars and forks are similar to the aftermarket deal I bought 25 yrs ago from JC Whitney! you need 10 hands to hold it all together and line it up.

once installed the shield doesn't cover my head so... at 60mph my head buffets around so badly that my eyes are jiggling.

a cool experience for a video game but not for concetrating on riding a 600lb motorcycle.

I'll have to live with it, I guess.

then again.. I'm a little more demanding when it comes to spending $300+ on an item.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Here ya <a href="http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441843943&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290539&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290539&bmUID=1173367911188&bmLocale=en_US">go.<a>

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had a HD QR shield (58667-04)on my 2004 Sporty. Lots of buffeting. The mounting hardware utilizes tiny rubber inserts to protect the fork. They are inadequate, and the shield ended up scoring my fork legs. Not a big deal, but somewhat disapointing. Not recommended. Had a Memphis Fats shorty too. Same problems. Not recommended either. Ended up going screen free on two 5,000 mile trips out western US, and glad I did.

I'd recommend the little sporty quarter fairing (57070-98) HD makes. Haven't tried it but it looks like just enough to take the wind blast off your chest.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's amazing that the only two bikes regularly parked here at work are two Harleys (one is my "everyday" Sportster), so kudos to you for doing your part to change the Harley paradigm. I go shieldless now. Gerbing electric or a Vanson Streamliner under my Aerostich do the job. The wind blast helps work out the abs, too. Went down today on a low speed left turn (about 15mph or so). At 10 degrees the salt on the road & cold tires don't have much traction. Just another $30 for a rear signal. The Stich is great. I never even feel the impact so I can quickly jump up and keep my bike from getting pulverized in morning traffic. I keep saying I'll get a dual sport.

Anyway, no windshield.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.