Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: sleds

I recently moved to Minnesota and bought a 98 Ski doo MXZ 670. Holy Sh#t does that thing move. Its like a big bore dirt bike on snow. You get huge jumps with snow you know... Anyway, 1 more thing. If the people ever got wind of how you "test" bikes, do you think you would get into any trouble?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get back on target!

Dudes,

You don't have enough time as it is. Why waste what little time that you do have on something other than MOtorcycles? How about more features and test rides on MOtorcycles?!

I like guns, guitars, astronomy, camping and pus_y too. When are you going to cover those topics...?!

Philip

ZR-7

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: Get back on target!

ZR-7, don't be a buzzkill! Sleds will be fun.

We're hoping to launch our camping (summer) skiing/snowboarding (winter) zine next year. Bicycles first, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I am sure that ZR-7 was joking but in case you're not, FOCUS. Sleds ARE fun but that's not the point unless you're looking to become snowmobiles.com So, keep focused on (motor)bikes please. You guys could have slipped over to Moto Guzzi Classics in Long Beach for a ride on the 2002 LeMans a few months back and scooped all the major print rags. Heck, I got a good ride on the bike just for having a legit license and asking nicely. If you do write anything about bicycles I expect a good plug for the guys at Beach City Cycles though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is great news! I can't wait to read reviews on snowmobiles on this site. It will be a much welcomed addition. I own a 1997 Yamaha Mountain Max 700 with some mods done to it. It is by far the fastest motorized fun toy I have ever had the pleasure to drive.

I also ride motorcycles all the time and have to say that it's very hard for me to pick which is more fun, motorcycling or snowmobiling.

Maybe this site will get updated a little more often. I love this site but can't stand waiting for a week for it to get updated. More content can't hurt, snowmobiles are a great addition to this site.

Canada Kicks Ass!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: 225 HP Revolt

Took the words out of my ... keyboard?...

anyway... yes!.. Tuluie + that motor == WIKKEDDD!!

Man.. it warms my heart to see such awesome development of two-stroke engines still exists, if not in motorcycles, at least it's happening somewhere.

Just imagine how kick-butt 2s bikes could be today if companies were allowed or at least not dis-inscented (pun intended? ;) ) to develop them.. and develop -clean- ones (clean by 4-stroke standards at least).

We'd have 200hp bikes that weighed less than a 600. This -sled- these guys made weighs under 500lbs for goodness sake!.. you know a bike would be MUCH lighter! Of course, squid-deaths would rise and we'd get them taken away... hmmm.

Yeah I know.. I'm dreaming again... I'll wake up soon.

-James

·
Registered
237 Posts

I'm with you, ZR-7...

Yeah, if this site was just spilling over with first-class motorcycle content, and they decided to hire on a couple sled jockeys to cover snowmobiles, I'd have no complaint.

But, as it is, the readers are calling for more, and better, MC content. The MO staff reply that they're short on time, money, etc. So, I can only conclude that adding snowmobile coverage with the same staff, money, etc, will merely serve to further degrade the MC content (and that the snowmobile coverage will be lacking, too).

Don't get me wrong... I think snowmobiles are awesome. I've dragraced my bike against one (it had a rubber tread and little wheels in front). We were both running mid-12s. He beat me once, and I beat him twice. The thing launched like a rocket; unsurprising given that it has such a huge contact patch, but he earned my respect.

BTW, I'm with ZR-7 on a few other things, too. I like guns, astronomy, camping, and pus_y, too. Seeing as I'm music-challenged, I leave the guitar stuff to my wife and son, who actually have some talent with 'em.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We'll see....the Arctic Cat Thundercat is still King of The Lake. And for the price of the Redlines? Ouch..starting at $13,000 I'm told. For that kind of money, you could make a T-Cat into a 300hp monster easily..

·
Registered
217 Posts
You people complain to much. Don't try to tell me that you got all you motorcycle news out of one print mag before the internet. Every publication has it's own angle. Even Motorcyclist and Cycleworld, which are close, have different angles. With a couple of clicks you can go to tons of different sites. I do. If MO doesn't give you what you want go away. I am tired of reading all this crap. I love snowmobiles and was interested what poeple had to say, oh well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What about the Snowhawk?

Salut!

If your to talk about something that ride on the white stuff, please try to start with something we can relate to.

A YZ 426 is my first choice, but in some deep snow condition, it won't take me very far and on the good snowmobile trails, we're not really welcome, so then I would like a Snowhawk!

Go check it out at : www.adboivin.com/

I'm to do a test ride as soon as there is enough of the white sh*t on the ground, I'll try to let you know how it goes then!

Guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Calvin's comment "We'll get mauled..." is a large understatement. Having ridden sleds for more than 20 years I can tell you that a sled like the Revlot would probably be a handful for an experienced rider. I started out on a Yamaha 250 cc and when I quit a couple years ago had progressed to Thundercat with a 900 cc triple lightly modified. Now this sled was putting out in the neighbourhood of around 180 hp and it was wild. On my neighbour's 3/8 mile airstrip I could hit 110-120 mph and still shut it down before the end of the runway. Keep in mind that this is on snow(In my area they run pavement drags at the local dragstrip and production sleds with light mods can run low tens in the 1/4!). My sled was a production sled that would not be anywhere near as light as the weapon that is shown in the picture. I dare say that the Revlot would probably have the skis hanging in the air anytime the throttle flipper was provoked. For anyone who has not ridden a snowmobile you couldn't believe how well a track that has a contact patch that is 15" wide and over 36" long and lugs over an inch deep can effectively channel that much horsepower down to snow. Even though snow is slippery with the right snow conditions you can find a lot of traction and when mixed with large amounts of horsepower can get you in trouble in a big hurry.

That being said I must also agree with Plummer;

"with 225 horsepower, it will be glorious!."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow! Now you are talking...

That looks like one cool ride. I wonder if the sidestand will work better in the snow than my motorcycle one does in the grass. No matter, I think I'd ride it until I crashed it, and probably then wouldn't have the energy to pick it up.

The snowhawk brings up an interesting question: will a snowmobile with one ski in front lean into corners in the "natural" way, ie. countersteering, or are you going to have to muscle it?

160 kg and 70 hp? Enough?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: What about the Snowhawk?

I just received my Snowhawk dealer promo packet today. I'm setting aside some special time to watch the video tonight...

--

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe

Senior Support Engineer, Macromedia

Techno Balancer

·
Registered
203 Posts
225hp ultralight snowmobile

ahh a big-bore 2stroke, with high horsepower, light weight, easy starting and their ease of maintenance...doesn't it just make you sick? By the way, don't ever put that engine on a motorcycle.

:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well perhaps your T-Cat is more than stock? The fastest time EVER recorded for a stock T-Cat (and it was a 1000cc) was 117 MPH. The T-Cat speedos are notoriously inaccurate. I've seen 135 showing....I still think the T-Cat is the king. Yeo they make 177 stock. With pipes, 220 is not uncommon. And they don't cost $13,000 either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.