Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buy a manual that has a wiring diagram and take it from there.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I removed the ignition switch from my ATV. It starts with no key and no crossed wires. Freakin weird but that's a Honda 250 for ya.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Find the black wire sticking out of the case on the mag side and plug it into the top coil. Or is that the red wire? Green? Nevermind....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Your local car parts store will have a toggle switch that will work just fine as a replacement. You may need two toggles to get all the lights working, but for less than $10 you can avoid buying a new ignition switch.

However, you will need a wiring diagram for this bike to hook up the wires correctly or hope for someone to post that has that info in their head already. I don't.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I just got another Jawa 90 (with 272 miles on the clock) with a printed circuit board as the main harness conneciton...damn commie stuff.

Even has a zeiner diode. Made by Nicolas Tesla...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I recommend installing some kind of switch, and be sure you maintain some kind of kill swtich. Otherwise you won't be able to turn off the bike in a panic situation.

On one bike, I installed a rocker switch and hid it just under the seam of the gas tank. I would reach down to turn the bike on with this hidden switch. This was great till the day the top popped off the carb leading to WFO throttle. The bike leapt forward, I pulled in the clutch, and as the bike revved to the moon I pulled over, had to gingerly get off the bike to the left, and use my right hand to reach down to my tank's left side to get to the switch...it was sketch. Always keep a handlebar mounted kill switch of some sort.

Also, you need to have some kind of master on-off switch; that could be your kill switch as well. But don't settle for just a pushbutton kill switch with the master left always on. The reason is a passerby or child will someday press the red starter button (if you bike has electric start) and the bike will launch if it is in gear. If your bike is kickstart only then this is not an issue and you can just dispense with any kind of switch and twist the wires together.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You haven't checked prices lately. A switch for an old Honda might be $100.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for chuckles I checked BikeBandit. Ignition switch = $60.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
...his younger brother...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dang!

You've got an older bike with a busted ignition and you want to start it.

Why not haul it over to your local cop-shop? Somebody there will help you determine how to connect those "hot" things.

They might even give you some time to research the problem yourself if you've lost the title and/or bill of sale.

P.S. The ignition was jimmied on one of my mc's a number of years ago, BA (before alarms). Perps must not have had time to disable the steering interlock, though, so the bike was safe. Don't remember what the new unit cost. Seems like it was even color coded.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hey Seruzawa it was funny you told that Nighthawk guy he needs to totally dismantle the engine to change a part in the gearbox. We need more guys like you in this brotherhood.

- cruiz-euro

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.