Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
As a MCN subscriber, I've following MCN's instability claims since they originally reported it in 1999. Month after month, reader/Electra Glide riders wrote in to MCN with personal reports of Electra Glide instability. The fact that more than one aftermarket solution has resulted (see above posts) tells me that this is a real problem. Sure, steering dampers are sold for a lot of bikes, but they're intended for race track use. If you have a steering damper on your sportbike and never see the track, it's just bling. Unless of course you routinely ride at triple-digit speeds over rough public roads. In that case, well, that's just stoopid.

You're right that every motorcycle has negative aspects, but I would call this one inexcusable. Especially when the bike is to be used by police. The road that was being traveled has a speed limit of 60mph (I know, I live there). Cops generally ignore anyone doing less than 10 miles over the limit. So, let's say that our super-dangerous criminal was doing 72mph. It's quite easy to see that Officer Paul is going to have to get up to speeds of 85mph or more to catch said speeder, especially if he's giving chase from a standing start. Other local freeways have speed limits of 70mph...you get the picture.

I agree that motorcycles should not be used as pursuit vehicles, but in this case it appears the Electra Glide shouldn't be used on interstates at all. So police motorcycle use will be limited to city streets? Sounds like a serious waste of taxpayer dollars to me...just buy a big gas-guzzling car that can do it all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think there's a misconception here. The officer was not chasing "a runner" (yet). He was simply trying to catch up to a speeder. What would he do when he caught him? Flip on the lights and attempt to pull him over to issue a citation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.