Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I rarely agree with a lawyer, but the Electra Glide may not be a stable enough platform for high speed pursuit. I have heard rumor about the wobble problem on some Harleys, but I was unaware that MCN had documented them.

Unfortunately this situation is a case of what may well be an inferior design apparently being the cause of an officer's death. I know the loyalty that some police departments have for Harleys, but I just don't get it. Both my Buell and my VFR are/were rock stable at 85 and higher speeds. I even accidentally had the VFR speedometer calibrated by an understanding officer. (The bike just got more stable the faster you went.) As for my BMW or Ducatis, we don't even need to ask about high speed stability.

Maybe Harley needs to fix the problem by promoting pursuit model Buells. Or perhaps police departments should find out how good a police version ST3 would be. I sincerely doubt they will have a wobble problem. Some European countries even have police version 999s. (Try outrunning that.)

Reading sad stories like this one remind me of why some US police departments are opting for BMW police bikes. Police departments need to get the right tool for the job. Harleys are great cruisers. IMHO, they are not high speed pursuit vehicles.

Francis

Francis

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.