Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'll add my voice to those who've suggested that you get an OEM shop manual. You can get one inexpensively through ebay for nearly any bike or pirate one in PDF format from any of several websites that a perfunctory GOOGLE search will scare up for you.

I'd also suggest that you begine doing an ebay search on your bike for parts, etc. once a week or so. You have to learn how ebay works and develop a feel for who's good to deal with and who isn't but I've gotten some incredible deals there. I bought an entire engine for my FZR400 for $225 delivered to my front door that was pristine and runs like a champ even under racing stress.

Finally get some tools. Buy once, cry once. You'll need a laptop and Power Commander for fine tuning fuel management and ignition parameters (I recommend one of these very highly). A lift is almost a necessity. I built my own and I don't know how I lived without one before. I also have a tire changing stand which I think is a helluva investment. Get yourself front and rear wheel stands and an ATV jack (you can buy a great one at CHECKERS for about $50). If you really want to make your life easy get an additional front stand that will lift the bike at the lower triple clamp.

Good enough tools are not always the most expensive. I can buy an awful lot of Craftsman wrenches for what a set of Mac's costs. If there is a Harbor Freight near where you live they have some very servicable items there cheap as long as you know what's good and what isn't. The cool things about bikes is that they are light and relatively simple to service. This means that you don't need big, ass-whopping impact wrenches, engine stands, and million dollar computers like you do for cars and light trucks. And it's really nice to be able to lift your rebuilt engine off your work bench and carry it over to the bike all by yourself.

Good luck. I respect anyone who wrenches on their ride. I quite agree with the poster above who alluded to the Zen qualities in doing this. You will love your Gixxer even more after tearing into it a few times. I think that working on a bike reveals it's character to at least as much as riding. That's one of the reasons that even though I'm a sportbike guy I like Hogs - they are truly fun to tinker with.

Cheers

Martin

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.