Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw it at the theater and I was thrilled to see a POSITVE movie, let alone a positive movie about motorcycles. At the theater, the women were cheering and clapping during the show.

I ordered my copy from Amazon last week and it should be here any day. The DVD has the original 1971 documentary about Burt as a bonus feature.

peace,

CDM

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was a fantastic movie wasnt it?

I loved Sir Anthony Hopkins in that role. He was funny as hell too. My girl like dit lot, which is awesome because that means she wont mind watching it again....

"He Burt...looks like you got a bit of a flat tire there..."

"Heh....yea, but at least its only flat on the bottom....."

I love old guy humor.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Get the book. The one by the NewZealand author who knew him - can't remember his name. The book is about $30. If you're any kind of gearhead you'll love the detail describing how Burt made all the parts on his Indian. He also had a Velocette he spent nearly as much time on.

He claims he learned 7 trades over a lifetime with his work on the Indian. The most incredible task he set to in my opinion was to grind off the teeth on a clutch hub and file new teeth into it, by hand! He learned how to cast parts, weld, machine, heat treat metal and hand hammer aluminum. The stories go on and on. He was a fearless racer and the most obnoxious/likeble character. The movie even with Hopkins great portrayal doesn't begin to describe what a character or tehnical wizard Burt Munro was. He failed constantly and it never seemed to slow him down. It's a fantastic read. But, there are few pictures, long chapters and excruciating detail about the technical aspects of the motors he worked on - loved it!!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The trouble with life in the sticks is having to wait for the dvd re-release. Looks like I stop on the way home and grab one up. Thanks for the tip. I was gonna patch a leaky ceiling tonight. What a relief.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Mine is on order!

I still have yet to view my cc of "Long Way Round", so looks like a weekend double feature on the long July 4 weekend.

Just the ticket to wait out a thundershower while hiding out at the Fortress of Solitude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too was lucky enough to see this in the theater. We have a small indie theater in my town. The movie was packed, and got a standing ovation. People were hollering for Bert when he was racing on the salt flats. It was awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.