Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever get tired of paying someone to change your tires? Fortunately Iv worked in dealers and it's always been one of those extra added bonuses to working in a dealer. Along with the tent, generator, and fans borrowed for race after race:J Well since Iv been away from the dealerships it time. After a while the cost adds up and eventually one of these babies will pay for itself. Unless of course your Sarnali2, he usually just pops the bead with his bare hands and then busts out the tire irons.Besides that it's a good excuse to drink beer with your buddies.

No-Mar: Scratch Proof Wheel Locking System, Beats Coats 220 - Safe for Carbon Fiber Wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iv always used gravity type balancers specially for racing. You should never worry about having to use anything but. The only thing out of balance is the tire. I have the one that doubles as a truing stand and Iv been balancing my tire this way since 1993 when I got it. Iv heard great things about no mar besides I also have the BST carbon fiber rims. Iv changed them on the coats and witnessed the rim flex once she's clamped on, scary to say the least.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly how fast do you intend to go? I've got a Marc Parnes portable that can balance a tire within a few grams - it's just a hardened shaft, two precision roller-bearings (mounted in a couple of special fixtures), and a set of matched cone-adapters.

Prior to getting that from The Wife for my birthday, I didn't balance tires at all, as seldom did I put the bike over the Ton, with the bulk of mph spent making mpg at 35-60.....
I guess you could go without balancing if your not going over 60mph. So you've never had even the slightest wobble or hop when you took it over that speed?

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So you're saying there's no "wobble or hop" when you balance the tires? On "perfectly balanced" tires I can still feel the road surface imperfections - those rollers don't make a "flat" surface, and they broom the shyte out of concrete roads so much these days, it might as well be a gravel road (compared to the way they used to build 'em). Seriously man, this isn't 1978 - even Kenda makes tires that are pretty close to being balanced, from the factory.

Tell me true, Moke - aside from the Track, how fast do you go at a sustained speed on the roads? If you're doin' much faster than "60" on the backroads around here, you (not "YOU" you, necessarily) are ****ing insane, have a Death Wish, or are plain Stupid. Seriously.

I use a balancer now, but that's because I have one.

One Pirelli I mounted-up for a friend didn't require any weights on my Parnes balancer - there was NO discernable heavy spot, anywhere.

I pay-attention to the manufacturers reference-marks, and actually read their published mounting data, and place the marks where they suggest. Helps a heluva lot.

Stop using Dunlops, and you won't need 7 or 8 ounces of weight just to keep the oscillations down to a manageable level.
Road imperfections are just that, but that's much different from the feeling you get while riding a bike that's tires are not balanced. Trust me Iv changed enough to know, usually I break the bead and slip the tire around the rim and lay the valve stem dot 180 then remount it. A common cure for a tire that wont balance on a machine correctly.

But your absolutely correct on the tires these day being much more balanced. I can't count how many times Iv gotten lucky and the rim didnt need balancing, no weights nothing. Not uncommon.

Besides that- why you worried about how fast I go on the street. We've all done it at one time or another. The racetrack is where I like to keep it most of the time. Occasionally on the weekend's if you know where to go you can locate the type of roads required for such speeds. But personally between you and I its the lean angle Iam addicted to. And you dont need to go all out to accomplish that. Tight and twisty as you go, is more to my liking. You know- the technical stuff.

And this leaves me with your last comment:" Stop using Dunlops, and you won't need 7 or 8 ounces of weight just to keep the oscillations down to a manageable level."

7 to 8oz of what, weed?:p This coming from the guy that doesnt go over 60mph? :p Did ya realize how important it is to have balanced tire's all day when your at 160mph on the back straight? :confused: I have been using Dunlops on and off since 89. I always go back to them, just a prefrence thing I guess. Predictable even after there gone.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I'm that way because of the unbelievably hard balancing of the old K bike wheels. It seemed they never nailed the front no matter what they tried.
A lot of people are more comfortable with the electronic high speed balancers. I just despise them. Iv been doing my own street and race tires for a long time and the gravity or truing stand style balancers are the best in my book. I have never ever had a problem on the track or the street with it ever.

What made the BWM tire so hard to balance?

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You gotta keep your stash somewhere.

It was a bit of an exaggeration, but typically it has taken better than an ounce of weight to balance every Dunlop I've mounted, which is probably a couple-dozen by now. No matter what fiddling I do with the tire-position - that just moves the weight around, doesn't reduce it. I just accept it as a matter of course, and get on with it.

I never said I don't go over 60mph - I asked you "aside from the Track, how fast do you go at a sustained speed on the roads?"

I would guess not much more than the "flow of traffic". Considerably slower than Track speeds, I would say.

Look - we're arguing the same side of the issue here, and splitting hairs again. Do I want a balance as close as possible if I'm going out on the track? You betcha. But most people use their motos for this thing called "pleasure riding", with the next largest group called "commuters". I've found actually balancing tires for either of these purposes to be nearly superfluous. Oh, I check the balance of every tire I mount - but if adding only 1/4 to 1/2 oz. of weight will bring it into "full balance" - I generally just skip it. Typically, you won't notice it. Seriously.

It's not the amount of weight, but rather - it's the time you've got to put in to balance the damn thing that's the pain. That will almost-certainly double the time spent on a tire change. And my patience is finite.
I know, Airhawk I'm just F-bombing with you brother. Perhaps your problem with Dunlops is just that specific model tire not sure. Id have to witness how quickly it falls to it's heavy spot on the balancer. I don't think 1.5once's is uncommon I will say that. So what tire and bike?

As for the street speeds, As I grow wiser I usually don't do to much high speed on the roads,.. to much;) Obviously it depends where you live at, and where your riding. Iv lived in a lot of different States probably the best was Arizona. Florida on the other hand has some roads up north that you can go fast on.
I'd say you can hit triple digits for maybe a mile or two but that's about it. As for the highway Im usually at 80-85 just so I can stay infront of all the idiots. You may think its crazy but knock on wood my methods have kept me alive for 25yrs of riding.

Agreed we are splitting hairs as you stated. Obviously I like to go fast in the right places so I pay close attention to balancing. Plus if you worked in a shop for as long as I have you deffinately have to pay close attention to the balancing. If you think taking the time to balance a tire takes longer, try having to pop the whole tire off again because some customer says he feels a slight hop. Iv been trained to do the job once and do it right. In a shop you have to get it right the first time or your losing money. It took me a while to get in under the times of changing a tire so that I could make decent money. Taking in to account that your changing front and rears on anything from a scooter, to a goldwing. 30mins for one tire, nowadays its even less time I believe.

And lastly what is this "pleasure riding" thing you speak off. You mean people ride to see the scenery? Thats weird! The pleasure I recieve is from a good drive out of a corner and then jab the clutch quickly to get the front end to loft into the air, thats my pleasure. Wha else could make you feel that good. Scaring yourself for me is funnier than seeing a pretty back drop while riding.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh and to answer your question on Death wish, insane, or stupid? I'll go with f-ing insane that will suit me just fine. If you come into a situation on the road or track and hesitate that will get you killed. Besides I hope I die with my boots on anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Indiana had a lot of Deer which thankfully I never encountered. You almost don't stand a chance with animals that are that fast.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
They're like fleas on a dog up here. I almost pasted one the other day. near dusk, filtered light through the trees, I came around a corner and there she was in the middle of my lane. Once again ABS saved the day because I just dropped the anchor and steered around her, well..steered around where she had been.... once they're spooked they bounce outta' there PDQ..

Even worse but a little more rare are Elk, basically horses with big giant antlers. The bad thing about them is when the bulls are in rut they want to fight or screw anything that moves and they won't back down, you just have to wait them out or go the other way, stupid bastardo's......

At any rate, that's why triple digit touring ain't such a good idea around here.
Sounds like avoiding them is some what like NASCAR just drive into the smoke and aim right for the car, cause it'll be gone when you get there. The elk on the other hand sounds like you should go off roading. I think the track teaches you panic braking better then any other venue.
I'm not saying I couldn't use abs, I'd just rather not, to me that's when you give up learning process. Just my 2, and to each his own.

Triple digit touring? Sounds like a good t-shirt. Other than that it's worthless on the street unless your trying to impress your bros. Not that I haven't hit those digits but it's always on an empty road with 15 of my close friends.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That's the way they are around here, they eat weeds on the side of the road right outside my development. You can just about walk up and kick them in the butt, they have no fear at all.
Thats funny! They must really be getting used to Humans. Deer hunting down here is very popular they should see if some of the red necks could come up there and help out. They could stock their freezers full!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.