Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh and to answer your question on Death wish, insane, or stupid? I'll go with f-ing insane that will suit me just fine. If you come into a situation on the road or track and hesitate that will get you killed. Besides I hope I die with my boots on anyway.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I go by the adage that it's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike.... There's plenty of places around here you can flat haul ass, the only thing stopping you is deer and elk, log trucks and the occasional WSP trooper. I actually enjoy checking out the scenery. That's what my bike does best, just lope along at a nice reasonable 40 to 60 on the back roads, 80 or 90 on the freeway and life is good.

I even found a set of Dunlops I like, the standard D402's actually work well on the dresser and I got almost 20k out of the last set. I can't remember what I paid to have them mounted and balanced but the bike runs pretty smooth so it was money well spent.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Indiana had a lot of Deer which thankfully I never encountered. You almost don't stand a chance with animals that are that fast.
They're like fleas on a dog up here. I almost pasted one the other day. near dusk, filtered light through the trees, I came around a corner and there she was in the middle of my lane. Once again ABS saved the day because I just dropped the anchor and steered around her, well..steered around where she had been.... once they're spooked they bounce outta' there PDQ..

Even worse but a little more rare are Elk, basically horses with big giant antlers. The bad thing about them is when the bulls are in rut they want to fight or screw anything that moves and they won't back down, you just have to wait them out or go the other way, stupid bastardo's......

At any rate, that's why triple digit touring ain't such a good idea around here.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
They're like fleas on a dog up here. I almost pasted one the other day. near dusk, filtered light through the trees, I came around a corner and there she was in the middle of my lane. Once again ABS saved the day because I just dropped the anchor and steered around her, well..steered around where she had been.... once they're spooked they bounce outta' there PDQ..

Even worse but a little more rare are Elk, basically horses with big giant antlers. The bad thing about them is when the bulls are in rut they want to fight or screw anything that moves and they won't back down, you just have to wait them out or go the other way, stupid bastardo's......

At any rate, that's why triple digit touring ain't such a good idea around here.
Sounds like avoiding them is some what like NASCAR just drive into the smoke and aim right for the car, cause it'll be gone when you get there. The elk on the other hand sounds like you should go off roading. I think the track teaches you panic braking better then any other venue.
I'm not saying I couldn't use abs, I'd just rather not, to me that's when you give up learning process. Just my 2, and to each his own.

Triple digit touring? Sounds like a good t-shirt. Other than that it's worthless on the street unless your trying to impress your bros. Not that I haven't hit those digits but it's always on an empty road with 15 of my close friends.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

25 years ago there were about 200000 deer hits per year. Now it's 1.5 million. That's a lot more increase in hits than increase in cars. Part of the problem is that the wackos have virtually stopped hunting in the East. The fools even put food out for the deer in winter. Too many idiots watching Animal Planet and Bambi.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
25 years ago there were about 200000 deer hits per year. Now it's 1.5 million. That's a lot more increase in hits than increase in cars. Part of the problem is that the wackos have virtually stopped hunting in the East. The fools even put food out for the deer in winter. Too many idiots watching Animal Planet and Bambi.
10 years ago, it was estimated that there were nearly 2.5million deer living INSIDE the Little Rock City Limits. That's about 4-times more deer than humans living there. People were complaining about the deer eating their roses and hanging plants. So, the Game Commission solicited talk about allowing bow-hunting within the City - stupid-ass activist groups had a field-day.......

I imagine the population is higher, now.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Having ABS doesn't take away skill IMO, it's just one more tool in the box. You still have to use normal braking skills in most situations, just in those "OH M' GOD!!" moments it's handy to have because you can employ max braking and still retain steering control.

Like you said, to each his own. I've found it to be handy at times.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
10 years ago, it was estimated that there were nearly 2.5million deer living INSIDE the Little Rock City Limits. That's about 4-times more deer than humans living there. People were complaining about the deer eating their roses and hanging plants. So, the Game Commission solicited talk about allowing bow-hunting within the City - stupid-ass activist groups had a field-day.......

I imagine the population is higher, now.
That's the way they are around here, they eat weeds on the side of the road right outside my development. You can just about walk up and kick them in the butt, they have no fear at all.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That's the way they are around here, they eat weeds on the side of the road right outside my development. You can just about walk up and kick them in the butt, they have no fear at all.
Thats funny! They must really be getting used to Humans. Deer hunting down here is very popular they should see if some of the red necks could come up there and help out. They could stock their freezers full!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Um. I still change tires with tire irons and an old oil drum with tubing on the rim. I check the balance, but, usually, the street bike wheels are really close.

I have a cheap bead breaker from Harbor Freight that cost all of $10 on sale.

I have friends that have the NoMars. They love them, and have more than paid for them with saved money and goodwill. The going rate in these parts for mounting tires "not bought here" is $30-$40.

We ALL can't live on the west coast with big-box megaBike stores selling discount tires and service.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.