Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I would if I could afford it. The B-17 is/was a legendary aircraft that was our "ace in the hole" before we entered the war. It was a generation ahead of anything anyone else had when it entered service, and it stayed ahead of the curve with constant updates during the war. A chance to ride in one should not be missed.

There's a really cool movie from early in WWII about one of the B-17s that was coming in to Hawaii as the Japs were attacking Pearl. The crew refueled and then went on to participate in other battles in the Pacific. It was really interesting because they included a lot of stuff like Japanese collaborators in Hawaii who were conducting "Fifth Column" work etc. Sorry I can't recall the name, but I'll try to locate it.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I did not.

I was too busy this weekend to drive to El Cajon and spend the Four Fitty for the ride.

My Blue Angel ride was free. Hard to beat that.
$450 is a lot of dough, especially if it was an hour or two deal. If you spent 1/2 day on the plane or more, maybe it's reasonable. OTOH, you could think of it as a donation to help keep the "warbird" in the air.

There's a good chance that plane will be at the Confederate Air Show in Titusville this month. Many of the WWII planes still flying make that show.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I believe it costs something like $4000/hour to operate.
The kid and I go by the Valiant Air Command Warbird museum near Moms house from time to time. I find that figure easy to believe, given the facilities and materials they have to keep their planes working. Restorations must run in the millions before they even begin to operate them.

VALIANT AIR COMMAND WARBIRD MUSEUM - Titusville Florida

Check it out, they've got a remarkable and growing collection. Right now they're building up a fleet of Vietnam era aircraft, including an F-4, a Huey, an Intruder and more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.