Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys write to complex and try to throw fifty ideas in one sentence. Although I say "to complex" it doesn't mean I don't at least try to read it. No I can read fine but I don't understand who you are trying to impress. But I love you picture caption writings and the meat and flavor of the writing as a whole is like a turkey dinner meal with sides of canned cranberry sauce, whipped creamed pumpkin pie in the fridge, corn in a bowl with a big round spoon in it, and a tv with the Lions, and a dog the just farted and is now wiping his but across the floor with the family saying "stop it".

·
Registered
179 Posts
as alway, I keep saying.. I'm in N.J. so .. willow springs is out!

Just one comment.

What were the 'tasks' that they made you do to prepare for the track?

thanks .. great article!

could be more meat though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey, nice write-up, Martin.

"I doubt if I'd have the strength of character to be as mellow if I were as good as they are."

So how's your strength of character relative to colorful captions the MOrons attached to your pictures? :)

Seriously, they are good pix attached to an excellent narrative. Hope to read more from you.

And damn, I gotta get to a track day!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed. I understand that Kalifornia is the mecca of all things civilized (unless you're from anywhere else), but MO needs to find someone to comp you trips out east. Love the content, but I'd love it even more if it pertained to me.

That said, great article (absent a couple of dropped articles), as usual.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK you NY/NJ sport bike riders

It's a bit of a drive but you may want to look into Loudon NH's New Hampshire International Speedway. They run the LRRS CCS races there. Check out the web site for the schedule and the link to the Penguin School. http://www.lrrsracing.com/

Trying to say money... Then bring a tent and camp in the infield. Water and electrics available for campers. The people you meet during a race weekend are the best people on the planet.

I took to the track on my Ducati 996 during a track day sponsored by BCM Ducati at Laconia NH. They are by far the best Ducati shop in the north east. After the first track day I was hooked. Yes crack cocaine of motorcycling is about right. I ended up purchasing a Kawi EX500 for $2000 that was race ready. This bike doesn't use much $'s to keep it in tires and fuel so the cost of racing is lower than most, yet I have just as much if not more fun than my bud's on their 748's. (If I were to do it again I would have got an SV650. They are the best race bike for a new club racer) I have sinced raced in Daytona (2nd this past spring in LWSM Am) and moved up to Jr in the LRRS series. This is the best thing you can do on two wheels and you also get to hang with the craziest most fun bunch of people that you could ever imagine. What's stopping you?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Think it might be BIR (Brainerd), depending on where in SD. They do track days. There are a few different companies that go around to different midwest tracks to instruct and put on track days. One is Nesba (nesba.com, I think). Maybe somebody else has some more info on some of the others.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Actually ...

... we have covered Daytona, Myrtle Beach, and Americade this year. I coulda sworn they were East of CA but I guess it depends on whether you're going around the world the long way or the short way.

Can't do much more for you than that Goocher. When the OEMs start holding press intros in West Virginia instead of Catalunya we'll be there with bells on (and leathers). In the meantime, take a page out of sportbike_pilot, Sean Alexander, and Longride's book. If there's something you wanna read about in MO, quit whinin' and write it your damn self!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just to toss this into the mix. When I took the california superbike school, Keith Code told us about a group of Harley riders that had all book up a day (on their Harleys). The story goes at the second on track session all you heard was scraping parts, and the time where slow, at the third and forth session the scraping was less and the times where faster on the final session the scraping returned but the times where the fastest of the day.

If you can get it on to the track, any bike/rider combo will benifit from this type of training.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Can Buz and me bring the Geezers?

I want to get Buz on the track with me and we need to see who can grind the floorboards to dust first. I DO need a track day soon, and not on a Harley.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the above post is a reflection of the article's grammatical style. I'm no English professor, but I noticed a ton of mistakes in this article that I usually don't see on MO. In the first sentence:

"There is a lot of stuff out there that may be used enhance the spec sheet performance a sportbike. "

It should say:

There is a lot of stuff out there that may be used {TO} enhance the spec sheet performance {OF} a sportbike.

Now I'm not saying that the content was bad or the article topic wasn't interesting, but I did get confused by the lack of proofreading in a few parts. Did he have any one read it for grammatical errors beforehand?

That said: the article's argument that to get faster requires better riding and not better parts is very true.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Re: Can Buz and me bring the Geezers?

I ll agree with me needing another track fix. Thought it was iteresting that even non-sportbikes and their owners can benifit. They last time I did the Keith Code school there was a old Sportster (don't ask me year or model, the Harley designations confuse me), and a full dress BMW. Also a guy had a Bimoto that he bined. Money does not make you talented or smart.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Excellent article. I guess I an at the point to consider this type of thing. I definitely agree with you that in general the best practitioners.

don't make the best instructors. Especially sports, where you see great coaches usually were so so players.

Great writing. Hope to read more from you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
good article..

Kenny and Curtis have both offered me great advice over the years.. When I first started playing with WSMC in 99'.. I pitted with Curtis and Jacob West... These guys always were very approachable for advice, and I owe a great amount of the way I ride today to both of them. Jacob is now a Trackdaz.com staff guy, and I still speak with Curtis now a days.. I still think its odd to see him on an Ascot single instead of his old fire breathing FX bike :)

ps.. that's me in the back of that group pic #586... I'm guessing that pic was taken in early 01'

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mooner is probably right. I recently did a trackday at BIR and had a blast. You don't get much overt instruction if you don't pay for the track school, but as long as you can ride decently you will do fine. They run new riders around the track a few times in the morning orientation session.

I did have some other dude run into me in turn 10, though, denting my pipe. I will be sending them an email to emphasize safe following distances for the novice class in their rider's meeting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The thing about trackday school reviews is that they never get further than being just another advertisement. You'll never seen any honesty or serious critical evaluation of the school. What else can we expect other than a raving review? If I wanted to read Sport Bike magazine, I would've subscribed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.